Burglar alarm system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a Secom hard wired system with integral keypad for 17 years with no false alarms, 2 years ago decided to have a new panel installed with dialer and we have had 2 false alarms since, one when we were on holiday which put relatives in a panic. The new system is a Scantronic 9651 hard wired control panel using the same hard wired sensors that existed. Has anyone any knowlege of the reliability of this unit please.

Sponsored Links
Scantronic are also manufacturers of many of the Electrical wholesaler's own brand products. They are as far as I know the Market leaders in Domestic Intruder alarm manufacture.
Whoever installed this should go back and retrace his steps logically to find whats wrong. You can start by looking at the alarm and seeing which zone its happening on, that will narrow it down. Then check that circuit throughout for continuity of alarm and anti-tamper and then also check for loose conns etc. Finally if all else fails change that zone to another on the panel if you have spares and try that to see if the same thing happens. If so, theres a fault on the wiring, if not theres a fault on the original zone on the panel. But to reiterate, Scantronic are one of the most well known and reliable panels available.

TBH 2 false alarms in 2 years is would not concern me personally.

First thing I'd be looking at is the 17 year old sensors, these do break down in time, normally sooner than the panel.

Scanny is great kit, although the cheaper panels like the 9651 is a bit buggy in the software, but this wouldnt cause false alarms.

Plus 2 false alarms in 2 years is nothing to worry about, we wouldnt even consider it a problem really.

Sponsored Links
i agree with the last 2, Job_n_knock is right in his way of testing, but for 2 false alarms in 2 years, i wouldn't bother with his suggestions, if it was a wirng problem it would have shown long before now.

i would agree with checking the sensors, open them up (tamper should go off) and see waht inside, you may have an unvited guest, though it is doubtful

Thanks all for your input. Two false alarms for no apparent reason is too many for me and the neighbours, I will investigate as suggested.
Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back