Burglar alarms this time...

HandyJon said:
Find the tamper switch for the bell box lid and tape it closed. It'll be behind a small spring. There might be one behind the box as well when you take it off the wall.
sorry that wont work at all

as has been mentioned mrmark (origonal poster) is going to change his bell box, in order to do this he has to open it, then dissconect the wires that connect it to the panel.

Since it will now no longer have a "hold off supply" securing any or all microswitches will be of little / no use, since the "bell" will now be running on its own internal battery. the only way to stop it is to dissconnect the battery

I should also point out that the battery is not an "aa" style battery but will look like anything from a short fat cylinder to a long stuubby cyinder. but most bell boxes have them labled, but seein as its a rust bell box i can only uggest cut all wires, starting with one that goes to the sounder itself

as for the noise, take cover off, see above then remove box from wall, a crow bar may also be usefull (since box is rust fixings may also be rusty)

mrmark you also mentioned posting a picture, but not sure how, check out "forum information" its in there

Sponsored Links
REF strobe/bell.

As I read it, some insurance companies specify to EN standards. These require a panel to EN standards. EN standard panels kill the bell and strobe outputs at the same time. (although they remain as two outputs).

The strobe is often also used a courtesy 'system is set' by flashing a couple times on setting. Also, the bell output is only 500mA usually, a strobe and bell on one output would exceed this.

Thanks Breezer.

I have mentioned it before in my other posts, that I aint no electrician.

Therefore forgive me for asking, if I cut the wires from the battery, will there not be a risk of a small shock as I imagine there will be a least 12v coming from it???

Once the old box is down, is it just a case of terminating the wires using the same colour scheme as before, only this time using the terminals as pointed out by Lectrician in a earlier post.

TEXECOM
C
D
B
A
not connected
S

mrmark said:
Therefore forgive me for asking, if I cut the wires from the battery, will there not be a risk of a small shock as I imagine there will be a least 12v coming from it???

No, 12v is not high enough to overcome skin resistance

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
i can only uggest cut all wires, starting with one that goes to the sounder itself

That's not a good idea on a piezo sounder. The piezo drive is very high voltage and while the current is'nt high enough to kill or injure you, it can be very uncomfortble. The last thing you'd want when you're at the top of a ladder I'm sure.

Just look for a cylinder wrapped in green, red or blue plastic with red and black wires coming out of it. Snip either or both of them (but not together) and it'll shut up.

i was refering to the wire that supplys the sounder, not the actual piezo itself which is probably encapsulated anyway.

Oh and as for bank job, they often have double bell boxes (box within a box) rawl bolted to the wall

alarm_guy said:
breezer said:
i can only uggest cut all wires, starting with one that goes to the sounder itself
Just look for a cylinder wrapped in green, red or blue plastic with red and black wires coming out of it. Snip either or both of them (but not together) and it'll shut up.

What stupid advice! It's not the piezo that produce the high current, it's the strobe! cut the wire to this as it's flashing, and you'll be thrown off the ladder, streight into an ambulance!

mrmark Take my advice....get an alarm co to do it for you professionally. Alternatively....take the wrong advice from above..(1) kill yourself! (2) annoy the neighbores, so when it rings in future, they'll ignore it!

sorry to be pedantic about this, but you too must get your facts right.

The strobe uses not a lot of current, (50 -300mA) how ever it does produce a very high voltage, in the region of 5000 to "stike the xenon tube" but since you should only cut the strobe unit supply wires this also makes your advice of
What stupid advice! It's not the piezo that produce the high current, it's the strobe! cut the wire to this as it's flashing, and you'll be thrown off the ladder, streight into an ambulance
wrong.

although i do agree about the piezeo (which is what i said in the first place)

and since it will be disconneted the only thing running will be the sounder any way, and for the 30 odd seconds it will take to stop it, i dont think he need worry

mrgrumpy said:
alarm_guy said:

What stupid advice! It's not the piezo that produce the high current, it's the strobe! cut the wire to this as it's flashing, and you'll be thrown off the ladder, streight into an ambulance!

The strobe does'nt self activate, so it's not really an issue. You're right in suggesting the piezo does'nt produce a high current it's self. It's the piezo drive circuit that produces around 400v to drive the piezo element which can shock you if you go cutting the wires leading from the PCB to the sounder. Cutting the wires to the battery (which is the cylinder I'm refering to) in the bell box is the best way to turn it off safely. I've decommisioned more than enough to know what I'm doing with them.

As I've said in the past, if someone is'nt 100% about what they are doing, they should get a pro in to do it :!:

Guys,

Quite a discussion in my absence...

Well, taking all your comments into account, my plan of action is as follows:

1, Shut off power to alarm box and remove the battery. (That will be enough to get that old box ringing)...

2, Disconnect the wires from the terminals on the panel. (Noteing them down, as I go).

3, Up the ladder to remove the box cover and cut the wires to the battery. (I'm assuming there is only 2?).

Would, anyone agree with my master plan, or have I lost it all together...

:cool:

fair point. ignore 2 altogether.

when you come to remove the old bell cut the wires in the box 1 at atime

mrmark said:
Guys,

Quite a discussion in my absence...

Well, taking all your comments into account, my plan of action is as follows:

1, Shut off power to alarm box and remove the battery. (That will be enough to get that old box ringing)...

2, Disconnect the wires from the terminals on the panel. (Noteing them down, as I go).

3, Up the ladder to remove the box cover and cut the wires to the battery. (I'm assuming there is only 2?).

Would, anyone agree with my master plan, or have I lost it all together...

:cool:

You can leave the control panel back up battery connected to hold off the siren until you're ready for removing the cover. If you do this though, the siren should still activate when you remove the bell box cover, so a decent set of ear plugs/defenders are still essential. Once the cover is off, you can cut the red wire coming out of the bell box battery. This will stop the siren. You may wish to cut the black wire too, but it's not essential. Then, go back down the to the control panel and down power it. You can go back up to the bell box to remove it. If the existing bell cable is in good condition at both ends, you may aswell leave it in place, unless you're going to replace it/the panel anyway.

The hardest bit is yet to come though, so if you're not too confident with ladders, get someone else to do it. You'll need to have both hands off the ladder at some point to locate the new bell and terminate the connections to it! Be very careful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back