Burley gas fire and vent size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with the above mentioned fire. I'm not sure if I need a vent or not and if I do what size. The manual states I require 100cm 2 but the fire is only 3.5kwatt max, I believe I do not need a vent below 7kw.

If I require a vent what size hole do I need to drill, I have a 4" vent but that states on it 35cm2 which I assume would not be enough If I need to get 100cm2. Currently I need to vent some anger(sorry) and cannot install this loverly paper weight until I get this sorted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The 7Kw ruling applies only for flued appliances, it sounds to me your fire is flueless and these do need additional ventilation

And they do need proper commissioning

Hi
Yes it is flueless, sorry. I forgot also to say that the room is well in excess of the size requirements.

I like the sound of no venting at all!

I just want to get this right, no need in putting the family at risk for no reason, if I need to fit a vent I have no problem, the height thing is a new one on me though, I have only seen that for the republic of Ireland.

Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
I just want to get this right, no need in putting the family at risk for no reason

Then let your RGI make the decision, or have'nt you spoken to one yet.

;)

Hi
I take it RGI is 'registered gas installer'?

The wife has spoken to one she said we need a vent and he did not argue otherwise. I get the impression we had just bought a new drill and wanted to try it out! lol

The death that occured with flueless fire was indirectly caused by the vent being fitted at low level and they are now saying high level .
Funny how you seem to know (googled ) certain stuff a little knowledge is worse than none . Flueless fire need minimum 100cm 2 vent unless manufacturers instructions says larger

The manufacturers instructions MUST be followed to the letter.. Even with a vent you may well find that you will have problems with condensation and have it serviced on the dot... Also I recommend to all of my customers with these things that they fit an electronic Carbon Monoxide alarm.. Better still, take it back and fit an electric heater.. not a lot of RGIs like fitting them, and I refuse point blank

I take it RGI is 'registered gas installer'?

Thats right ;)

I get the impression we had just bought a new drill and wanted to try it out! lol

No, most of us have core drills, and some walls can be a right pain :D

My understanding is reguardless of room size, a min vent of 100cm free area must be installed.

;)

vent being fitted at low level and they are now saying high level

Learnt something I was'nt aware of, Then again like CG, I wont fit them purly becuase I dont trust customer getting it serviced.

Dont trust may seem abit strong, but you know what I mean.

;)

Hey namsag,

Have not used google any more than your GP does!

Just trying to do the best thing possible, I have wish to cut corners I just do not want to be ripped off.

I have a co detector waiting to be fitted once I have a gas fire up and running.

Just seeking clarification for the height of the the vent and seeking what size hole will give 100cm2 of new air.

A stated I have a 4" vent which states 35cm2, is this the airflow? I have had problems with a few people stating that this should do it, well 'should do it' is not good enough.

Once again thanks for all your help...keep'em coming.

Is this a new fire? because the manufacturers instructions stating ventilation requirements should be in the box

if manual says 100cm of ventilation required then a 100cm of ventilation is required, there is no argument manufactures instrutions must be followed

clf the problem was vent was close to fire and the draught was keeping the pilot playing on the asd thus keeping the fire burning when it should have tripped out.
Smallest hole you will get away with is 5 inch and then it must have the appropriate vent fitted

clf the problem was vent was close to fire and the draught was keeping the pilot playing on the asd thus keeping the fire burning when it should have tripped out.
Smallest hole you will get away with is 5 inch and then it must have the appropriate vent fitted

I see.

Cheers ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back