Buttress foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a buttress for a retaining wall 3M high retaining wall. I want the buttress to be around 1.5 m square at the bottom. How deep and wide do I go for concrete foundations?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is this retaining custard and being built on a treacle or chocolate sponge?

Is this retaining custard and being built on a treacle or chocolate sponge?

Yep what a DIY’er question. The soil upper level of the retaining wall is sandstone clay brash behind a 600mm thick stone wall with stone rubble behind. The buttress foundations sub soil will also be sandstone clay brash.

Sponsored Links
They should be part of the specification provided by the structural engineer, if not then go back to them. Otherwise if you guess, if it moves or fails you would have no comeback.

A past member - Norcon, would have instantly known the answer to this, and would have used every single piece of large machinery in the world to have done something similar. Alas he no longer hangs out here .... I hope he's not under this lot from only yesterday - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-48175651

You'd struggle for an answer on a forum full of pipe-smoking, tweed-wearing crusty structural engineers , let alone us Sunday DIYers. Get it properly designed locally, not guessed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back