Cable Pulling

dingbat said:
I must use my older, slightly more flexible rod set two or three times a week and - especially working solo - it's a godsend.

Are you sure you're talking about cable installation tools???!!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Whoops, sorry... seem to have veered 'off-topic' into the murky cul-de-sacs of my desperately sad private life!!! :D

More than a poor farm lad with only 600 acres :eek: , three misresses ;) , a wife :mad: and 400 head cattle :eek: ... could possibly handle ! .... Before breakfast anyway !!

Hey, ho, hey, ho, as off to the Plough :D we go !!.......

P

11:31am? That must be positively tea-time for a farmer!

3 mistresses and a wife? Well, you do work in husbandry ;)

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
If you have a havy cable and a bend or two is involved, then I would strip back the conductors (I use all of them), and if it is solid then I bend each lot back on themselves to make a loop, flatten it with pliers, then wrap tape over whole joint so that all the conductors are covered.
Belt'n'braces of soldering the joined conductors doesn't go amiss.

Also staggering the joins to avoid too much bulk in one place can be a good idea.

Good advice indeed, me old campaigner of razing all large diy outlets to the ground........

My preffered method is belt and braces. Feed a nylon string down the conduit and attach the new cable by whatever method you prefer HALFWAY down the string. Then if the joint gives way, you've still a string down the conduit to re-attach to. Good method on difficult runs. Pointless on easy ones.

When doing a domestic rewire, is it usually possible to pull new cable into existing runs with capping and plaster covering or does it need new runs to be chased out ?

Does capping come in various sizes e.g. for 1 sq mm, 2.5 sq mm cables?

Would it be sensible to use oversize capping to allow for future cable renewal?

You can normally pull switch cable through, but long runs of anything bigger are much more difficult. Capping sizes do vary, in width - you use whatever does the job, depending on how many cables share a run.

It's very decent of you to consider future rewires, but the chances are, by the time it needs doing again, needs will be different from today and chasing out may be impossible to avoid. But if you really want a renewable cable duct, use conduit.

well you say that but stuff like the main switch drop for a room doesn't tend to move much

in a conventional wooden floored house you can add sockets just above the skiriting without any chasing out at all

plugwash said:
well you say that but stuff like the main switch drop for a room doesn't tend to move much

True, unless you remodel, like I've done, and change the size/shape of rooms and the position of doors. ;)

Saw and tried these , I think there great (£17), note the flexible nylon bit is not very strong. i.e. it broke the 1st time i used it, but the rods and the brass hook and eye do a good job. :)

jenki said:
Saw and tried these , I think there great (£17), note the flexible nylon bit is not very strong. i.e. it broke the 1st time i used it, but the rods and the brass hook and eye do a good job. :)

It's sometimes a good idea to read some of the other posts in a thread before replying, jenki!! ;)

AdamW said:
I haven't found the fibreglass ones on the net,
Like this Thread :?: :?:

dingbat said:
It's sometimes a good idea to read some of the other posts in a thread before replying,

It's sometimes good take your own advise lol :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back