CAN ANY ONE HELP PLEASE IM STUCK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after getting the hot water to the up stairs rads i have a problem getting the water down to 2 rads down stairs they all run of the main flow and return pipes, even when i switch the pump of and heating drain hot water down through the rads themselfs they soon go cold again, any ideas would be most greatly recieved

Sponsored Links
yes sorry i see your point, the boiler is an old back boiler with header tank in loft, pump by the boiler seems ok, water in header set ok and hand hot, thing was after being closed down for the summer when i came to get the heating on it wouldnt heat up so i put flush in it and after 5 days washed it out took all the rads of and wased them to, i can get rads hot one at a time but not all together, i now have the up stairs on and balanced but cannot get the hot water down to 2 more rads, the pump is very hot yet the return pipe is not so hot any help would be great

Sponsored Links
are you sure the pump is running

undo the screw on the front and stick a small screwdriver in and turn the shaft it might be stuck :idea:

thanks again Kev had the pump of and washed it through wired it to the mains and the prop was going round no stoppages, i have brought a new pump just in case and are now thinking of trying it being a builder i know nothing about plumbing so appreciate your advice and help although it must be hard for you as you not on site so to speak or know the system,
one question Kev could it be a block in the flow or return if so hows the best way to test to check

Did you check for blocked anti gravity valve as per previous post about same problem

just an update have just turned pump off and undone the screw in the mid got very hot water out and some steam is that normal

As put on your prevoius question... It is on the central heating flow pipe from the boiler usually within a couple of feet... 3 inches long and made of brass. As you have a back boiler you prob have a pipe duct beside it where your pump is it should be in there, sometimes they are fitted higher up on the pipe so if your duct is partially boxed in look up and you should see it...... that is if you have a gravity system which by your previous discription is what you have..... If you have 4 pipes coming from the boiler this is definitly a gravity system

thanks again Namsag much appreciated, i only hav 2 pipes from the back boiler the pump is on the return on the flow about 2ft up is a connection to 15mm on a bend that arks down with a tap connector on it ( like the one you drain down the system with a sq nut to open and close) about 2 ft up from that is a brass thing but just looks like a welded st jointer cannot see much else as it is all boxed in is that any help

Hang on chaps if the anti grav valve was stuck there would be no heat upstairs would there??

Sounds to me like the pumps not running or the drops are airlocked.

Stan

hi stan thanks for replying have just changed the pump for a new one water is on now downstairs just to 2 rads thing is as i put the rads bac on upstairs the ones down go cold, been at this for 3 days i understand the air lock and have tryed draining ect but to no avail, tryed one rad on with heating at full bore still no change the water from the tap is steamin the one rad gets so hot but when all on we back to sq 1, i have read a post where some one sugested pushing mains water back up the system to the header could that be worth a try

Pannerstan accordin to reply it is not a gravity system anyway.but symptons of a partially blocked anti gravity valve are just this it will allow just enough hot water through to heat closest rads and heat every rad individually if others are turned off but will not allow enough flow to heat all or half of them at same time

hi namsag thanks for trying to help i dont think it is gravity fed as i said there is only 2 pipes showing through the wall flow and return one with the new pump on (return) and altough hot water on the flow side hot return and pump cool we also hav a timer switch which we can have water and heating or water on its own, when i know switch pump on and off i can feel it working its magic but still no hot rads is there anything else that i could try many thanks to all of you it is very much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back