CAN ANY ONE HELP PLEASE IM STUCK

Is the drawing on the link posted by doitall the same as how your system is laid out

Sponsored Links
yes very much so the only thing it dose not show is how the rads are fed and that is one prob i should have took care of befor hence the question about the run from main to the rads in 15mm, prob is we had a rad fitted a few yrs ago the plumber tee,ed in at the top of the main pipes in 22 mm
just on the bend at the top of the first run from boiler it bens under the floor he then on the tee sent another run in 22mm under floor to the airing cub and blanked it off, that was for a new boiler in the future however he then teed of that 22mm with 15mm all along the bedroom floor and back down to the rad and to be honest it has worked all this time ok although a couple of yrs ago he came back to that same rad as we had probs with it so as i dont need the rad on aseperate run thought i would put it on the main run thus iliminating a prob i hope thanks for your help

Will deal with your original problem, On friday i asked you if you had 4 pipes coming from boiler .Your answer was NO 2.. The drawing clearly has 4 pipes . 2 for heating circuit 2 for gravity HW circuit . Suggest you get proper access to pipes coming off the boiler and locate and identify anti gravity valve on heating flow and change it......

yes you were right namsag until i took the floor up i could not see the other pipes and again this is a prob they come inside the fireplace stack and are deff made of lead they run under the floor in bedroom and then connect to copper before going into loft 28mm i believe i checked under floor between where the lead shows through to where it joins copper it then goes behind some panelling in old airing cub then into loft i could not find the gravity valve but right you were it is gravity from boiler to the cillender but cannot for the life of me find this dam valve, my appolages for as i said just a simple builder respect to your trade

Sponsored Links
hi namsag sorry to be a pain have just traced all pipe work back from the hot water cil and 100% no valve just pipes with the odd welded joint cannot see where the lead goes down to boiler as it is inside the stack would it be possable that the valve would be somewhere inside the stack

Problem got me stumped then neil must be partial blockage elsewhere in system. Worked on thousands of systems of all ages and never seen lead used on heating or gravity circuits. It is possible if it does have a valve it is buried in fabric somewhere.. basically it looks like a 3 inch long by 3/4 inch brass socket.

hi all if you are still on line namsag still the prob it seems the hot water to the taps are getting all the water the water out of the cilinder is steaming hot but hardley anything to the rads, i have looked high and low for this anti gravity conection i even looked on net to see what they should look like but find one i cannot, silly question but would it make any differance if i installed one, dont mean to sound stupid but i have no idea

I'm not a plumber but so what. I'll stick my neck out.

The hunt for the valve is a red herring. There isn't one.

You said in the beginning that you can get all the rads working on an individual basis - but when you switch them all on the downstairs ones stop working. I am absolutely positive that you have a sludged up system.

When you drain a system all the magnetite that is sitting on the inside walls of the rad drains down into a thick sludge at the bottom of the rad and gung up your system.

Flushing it won't clear it. Think of when you've washed out your mortar bucket in the sink - you get sand that you can't flush away - same problem.

You'll have to powerflush your rads to clear it.

As I said, I'm not a plumber - but even idiots are right sometimes.

wouldn't call you an idiot joe, as it sounds logical and right now this min i would try anything i have all the rads of 3 or 4 times flushed them inside out upside down u name it i tryed it yes even £18 for a sludge buster and still nothing, silly thing is never thought about these probs during the summer as we didnt need heating but now winter is on its way well thats sods law for you m8

Where to start.

First forget the anti gravity whatever he called it, you won't have one and don't need one.

You say all the rads get hot one at a time. is that with all the others turned off.

I'm concerned about the high hot water temperature, can you turn the boiler and cylinder stat down to 60C max.

And I'm very concerned about the lead, although you haven't answered my question, I have never seen lead used for heating in 48 years.

hi doitall,ok so there is no gravity valve that im certain the rads do get hot one at a time with the others turned of, so i can go to all 7 rads and get them really hot one at a time even if i try to balance them no go after a couple they go cold also the return doase not seem to get hot dont know if that means anything, to turn down the hot water i dont know there is only a emersion on top of the cil (can i do it with that sorry but really dont know plumbin) the only other way to control heating and water is the therm on the boilerand all that says is 120 to 200 and a room therm set at 5 to 30c. as for the lead it is an old system the lead comes up from behind the stack under floor and then goes into copper up into loft both hot for the gravity water to hot water cil. thanks for getting back to me and tring to help your a star m8

Still can't see how they have used lead, did you scrap it with a knife.

Are you saying there's no cylinder stat :eek:

See if you can email an rough sketch of the heating pipes then.

namsag said:
Is the drawing on the link posted by doitall the same as how your system is laid out

You like my drawing then namsag :rolleyes:

deff lead did as you asked with knife , no stat on cill only emersion everything and temp run by boiler and room stat will email you drawing of heating set up but basicly 2 pipes from boiler visable 22mm go up to bedroom tee of 1 side in 15mm feeds bedroom 1 and bathroom 2nd side goes in 22mm to last bedroom with 2 rads off, about 4ft from end of 22mm it drops down to 2 rads downstairs that are joined bac to bac, under floor in bedroom 2 28mm lead pipes come up from boiler inside stack go across bedroom floor then jointed to 28mm copper that go upstairs to loft that any help my friend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back