Can I install an lpg cooker myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are regulations about mains gas installations, but installation of an lpg cooker would appear to be simply connecting the gas bottle. So can I do this myself?

Sponsored Links
No.. The installer must still be Gas Safe Registered with a domestic LPG ticket.

Sponsored Links
There are regulations about mains gas installations, but installation of an lpg cooker would appear to be simply connecting the gas bottle. So can I do this myself?
Installation is always more then just coupling up something - it involves testing to ensure that everything, gaswise, is safe. This includes the siting of the gas bottles.

If you don't know what these tests are, and why they're necessary, then this lack of knowledge makes you not competent to legally carry out the installation.

Additionally, if it's not your own property that you're living in and going to continue living in, then as well as being competent you're legally required to be a registered gas installer, which in turn requires you to be trained, assessed, and your work to be monitored.

Installation is always more then just coupling up something - it involves testing to ensure that everything, gaswise, is safe. This includes the siting of the gas bottles.
Where can I find the governing regulations for installing propane gas cookers and their gas bottles?

Thanks. I had found that one but didn't see any regulations about placement of gas bottles. All I saw was:
"No person shall install a gas storage vessel unless the site where it is to be installed is such as to ensure that the gas storage vessel can be used, filled or refilled without causing a danger to any person."
I would like to know if I can have the gas bottle indoors, next to the cooker.

Thanks. I had found that one but didn't see any regulations about placement of gas bottles. All I saw was:
"No person shall install a gas storage vessel unless the site where it is to be installed is such as to ensure that the gas storage vessel can be used, filled or refilled without causing a danger to any person."
I would like to know if I can have the gas bottle indoors, next to the cooker.

please tell us this is a wind up

Not at all. I know someone who has been using a cooker with the gas bottle behind it. Also, few years ago, we had space heaters in the office with gas bottles in the back.

My superser has the gas bottle inside it!
Also installed my own lpg gas cooker and would be the first to admit Im not competent but hey ho no can stop me. I used 10mm soft drawn copper for the 10m pipe run to the gas bottle and connected inside the house using some rubber hose I had lying around and stuck this over the end of the copper.
Works fine and cost me nothing as the bits were lying around to hand. :rolleyes:

Additionally, if it's not your own property that you're living in and going to continue living in, then as well as being competent you're legally required to be a registered gas installer, which in turn requires you to be trained, assessed, and your work to be monitored.
That is incorrect, in doing any gas work the minimum the law requires is competence, registration is only required when doing gas work as part of your business or for reward.

please tell us this is a wind up
Not at all. I know someone who has been using a cooker with the gas bottle behind it. Also, few years ago, we had space heaters in the office with gas bottles in the back.
It is allowed but only with butane, propane is not allowed indoors or even in your garage or shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back