Can I Use This Shower Mixer Tap? (Moved from Plumbing and C,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ps. I was suggested to move from Plumbing and Central Heating, original post - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=904077#904077

Hi guys just wondering if you can help me out here. I need to know if i can use this shower mixer tap from argos with my water heater http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8320627/Trail/searchtext>SHOWER+MIXER.htm

The part i'm wondering about is "The water level in the storage tank should be at least 1m above the hand shower."

In my pic it shows that the top of the current taps to the bottom of the water heater is 97cm but from the taps to the middle underneath the water heater is 100cm

dscf0001xv7.jpg

Heres the sticker with details about the water heater

dscf0009or4dx7.jpg

Thanks in Advance :)

Also heres the shower curtain im planning on using but i could always upgrade it as it looks like thats what it could do with :idea: ;)

dscf0012nq6.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not sure about that one, but usually you need a vented tap

Also as the plumber say , the element looks like it is above the bath which is not good.

Is the cold water feed mains of gravity? I hope you are not wanting to use it standing up!!
Maybe it is just me, but I don't like the look of that thing above the bath anyway!!

Looking at your edit, I don't think it will work anyway as there is not a 1m head from the water heater to the place where you will be using the shower head.
Are you sure you are meant to mount those water heaters above a bath? Are they suitable for installation in zone 1?

Sponsored Links
The answer to your question is No, it will not work!!
I'm questioning wether or not the manufacturer of that water heater has said it is OK to install it in zone 1 of a bathroom, it doesn't say in the spec sheet so I would at this point in time be inclined to say it is not suitable.

There is a phone number at the bottom of each page of the link you posted, maybe worth giving them a phone regarding the suitability of their appliance for being installed in zone 1 of a bathroom.

The answer to your question is No, it will not work!!
I'm questioning wether or not the manufacturer of that water heater has said it is OK to install it in zone 1 of a bathroom, it doesn't say in the spec sheet so I would at this point in time be inclined to say it is not suitable.

Well looks like im going to have to get on the phone to the council. Thanks for your replys and advice :)

If anyone else has opinions please let me know, cheers

Maybe worth speaking to the manufacturer before you phone the council.

Regarding the tap.
When the heater is on do any of the hot water taps connected to it drip.
If they do then they are vented taps.
If you removed and fitted your argos tap, you may cause damage to the heater, unless the heater can vent another way.

Looks in the data sheet that it vents into the cold water cistern , so it may not need vented taps.

Just spotted the IPX1 rating!!
This is not suitable for installation above a bath, get onto the council!!
Items installed in zones 1 and 2 should be at least IPX4 so they should not have installed it there. //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:ip

Regarding the tap.
When the heater is on do any of the hot water taps connected to it drip.
If they do then they are vented taps.
If you removed and fitted your argos tap, you may cause damage to the heater, unless the heater can vent another way.

Looks in the data sheet that it vents into the cold water cistern , so it may not need vented taps.

Hi, Thanks for your reply, None of the hot water taps drip

Just spotted the IPX1 rating!!
This is not suitable for installation above a bath, get onto the council!!
Items installed in zones 1 and 2 should be at least IPX4 so they should not have installed it there. //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:ip[/QUOTE]

Hi, Wow, Thanks for the link, What are they doing, trying to kill me ! :eek:
Just wondering if you think this is ok to say to the council. " The heater is IPX1 which is only "Protected against vertically falling of drops of water e.g. condensation" Also if they try saying it is "Splash proof element cover" like it says in the spec sheet, what should i say, its IPX1 which isnt good enough, full stop :cry:

Just say you do not believe it should have been installed there as it does not comply with the IEE regulations (aka BS7671 Requirements for Electrical Installations), the person on the other end of the phone may not have a clue about IP ratings!!
If they ask why, you can always tell them the reason.

If you look at the link to the instructions , it says there it must be installed to the IEE regs, if you also quote the relevant IEE reg 601-06-01, it will confirm that it does not conform

Just say you do not believe it should have been installed there as it does not comply with the IEE regulations (aka BS7671 Requirements for Electrical Installations), the person on the other end of the phone may not have a clue about IP ratings!!
If they ask why, you can always tell them the reason.

Ok, Thanks alot, Much appreciated, Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back