Can this be repaired?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got BG out today to do first boiler inspection. They deemed it ID and disconnected my gas supply and have said that we will probably need a new boiler and arranged for a boiler sales person to come round..

I have tried looking at the problem (photos attached) and it seems the independent Corgi clown I found on gumtree a few years ago made more of a tits up of things than I expected. seems he lost a screw that holds the horseshoe shaped plate which fixes the L shaped connector from the boiler to the flue in place. An, rather than order a new one he has decided to drill two new holes either side and use woodscrews or something to keep in place.

While I agree something should be done to resolve it - I am hoping I don't have to go so far as to replace the entire boiler.. any ideas if its repairable with a new horseshoe, new screws and something to seal the holes idiot features put there?

View media item 37149
View media item 37150

Sponsored Links
MAke/model of boiler?

Doh! Sorry.. missed the important stuff while ranting! It's a favourite on here - the good old Isar HE24!

(I know - its crap and I should replace, but right now, am not flush enough to stump up £1500 or whatever it will cost for a new combi and fitting by someone who isn't an idiot!)

A version of the HE24 is still available so it should be repairable assuming the bits are compatible, you just need to get the right parts. This may well include a new casing, and depending on the construction could mean quite a considerable amount of work to change it over. I must admit I've never had to deal with an Isar so I don't know exactly what's involved but worst-case it could involve stripping every component out of the old case and reassembling in the new one.

So, repairable? Almost certainly yes. Economically repairable? Maybe not.

Sponsored Links
That sort of thing is why BG gets some bad press from some corners.
Any decent engineer (and there are many on BG) who had confidence in what he does would be able repair that. There's the problem, BG have inexperienced engineers who would have no idea how to overcome this problem and resort to the easiest way out, which is to cut it off and log a lead.
Where do they get practical experience if they continue to work like this.
I cannot help but to remember that in my day this sort of repair would be commonplace.
The short answer is that it should be repairable.

A version of the HE24 is still available so it should be repairable assuming the bits are compatible, you just need to get the right parts. This may well include a new casing, and depending on the construction could mean quite a considerable amount of work to change it over. I must admit I've never had to deal with an Isar so I don't know exactly what's involved but worst-case it could involve stripping every component out of the old case and reassembling in the new one.

So, repairable? Almost certainly yes. Economically repairable? Maybe not.

thanks.. am beginning to think perhaps he hasn't drilled extra holes but used wrong screws - which might make it simple. The collar or bracket (horseshoe) is pretty thick metal, he would have had a hard job drilling extra holes in it with a hand held drill.. so maybe its meant to have 3 holes - and I just need someone to order and fit the right screws. Anyone have an Ideal Isar HE24 and can let me know if the flue is fixed to the top of the unit with 3 screws at the front - or just the one?

thanks

Any decent engineer (and there are many on BG) who had confidence in what he does would be able repair that. There's the problem, BG have inexperienced engineers who would have no idea how to overcome this problem and resort to the easiest way out, which is to cut it off and log a lead.
I cannot help but to remember that in my day this sort of repair would be commonplace.

Yes sadly he seemed to have absolutely no interest in whether it could or should be repaired and said if that was a route I wanted to take I should make my own enquiries! Shocking - no more homecare agreement for me.

I get the impression that BG use Homecare primarily to generate sales leads for their overpriced new installs rather than to make money out of maintaining existing heating systems.

If he has drilled new holes through the casing then it can't be repaired

I have never installed on but from ones I've seen they have 1 hole with a bolt in it at the front and the horse shoe has locating lugs on either end

I would have said get the correct bolt for the job
and use chimney cement to fill and seal the flue.

Problem is that everybody is too scared of getting sued if anything
did go wrong.

firstly it was manufactured with just the one hole and 2 lugs at the rear that the u clip fits into these are pop rivetted in, so theres your answer just pop rivet the 2 extra holes with sealed rivets, the boiler is fanned so POC's are drawn into the fan and then the air is mixed with the gas at the burner, the POC's then go through the boiler heat exchanger and out the inner flue. so a repair is possible and i doubt any BG bod would look twice!

If the case has been drilled, then it needs a new case, end of, anything else would be in contravention of Ideals spec which is not allowed

45 years, i can assure you, if someone at BG wanted to loose there job then yes they could seal it by many other ways in which im very confident it would seal the chamber perfectly, however as it isnt manufacturers spec it would still be I.D. and RIDDOR reportable

BG and others get alot of stick for following rules which COULD actually save some ones life, strange realy :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the responses. The work prompted me to dig a bit more today and have discovered massive amounts of leaking push-fit connections throughout the kitchen leading to the boiler (which explains the pressure loss we have been experiencing I guess).. so all in all seems like its going to be best to plump for a new boiler and replacing all pipework.... that should be fun!

Inclined to scrap the gas central heating altogether and go with electric rads - then I don't have water being pumped all over the place (which seems to be leaking alot) nor natural gas being pumped into the home.. which I have never really liked the idea of!

Time to do some reading I guess.. thanks guys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back