Can you use a twin impeller shower pump for just hot water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a Showerforce Easiboost Shower Pump and am thinking of plumbing it in with both intakes connected to my hot water.

The cold water would be mains. then i'd run them both through a pressure equalising valve and into my shower.

Will this work or do i need to get a single impeller instead. they're more expensive from what i've seen.

Sponsored Links
Usually double impeller are more expensive I thought.

I dont see any problem with what you want to do but you may find that it will need a greater minimum flow rate before the pump will switch on.

Tony

As Tony says the flow would be split equally between each impeller and flow switch, so it would take double the flow rate to trigger the flow switches. You could get round this if it was possible to detach one of the flow switches from the pump and mount it after the two outlets have been joined together. Alternatively you could fit a third flow switch on the common outlet.

Another problem is that the pipework from feed tank to cylinder and cylinder to pump inlets would have to be big enough for double the normal flow rate, so 22mm (which is very likely what you have) may well be inadequate, resulting in cavitation and/or air ingress. Even if this didn't happen you would probably invalidate the guarantee with such a set up.

It would a be a lot simpler if you could change the shower pump for a single ended one. Alternatively you might connect one side of the pump up to a "short circuit" so it would just circulate water (on a dead end from the hot feed) through a short loop. then all the flow would be through the other end and it's one flow switch.

i've been speaking to a plumber and he's says that the best thing to do is bring a line down from cold water tank in the attic and run the hot water from my sink in the bathroom.

this would then use the pump as it should be used, cold in hot in cold out hot out.

is this a better method or will i lose too much pressure???

Sponsored Links
bring a line down from cold water tank in the attic and run the hot water from my sink in the bathroom.
Eh????

sorry i'm in not being too clear.

he wanted to bring a line down from the cold water header tank in the attic and run the hot water from my sink in the bathroom. currently all my cold water in mains fed. these two lines would then be fed into a shower pump and into my shower.

i thought that a shower should have a dedicated line from the hot water tank, save getting cold showers!!!!

hope thats a bit clearer

hope thats a bit clearer
Not really. You've just repeated what you said before.

If my guess at what you mean is correct then you shouldn't do what your "plumber" suggests. Perhaps you should get a professional in who can follow the pump manufacturer's instructions.

i thought that a shower should have a dedicated line from the hot water tank
That's correct - why doesn't your plumber know this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back