Can't get boiler commissioned (low gas pressure)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - please please I need some advice. Four weeks ago I had a service on my boiler done under my Homecare agreement with British Gas and they disconnected my boiler because it was spilling. Two weeks later (BG not having done anything - supplied estimate for new boiler etc) I contracted a Gas Safe Engineer to fit a new boiler and flue having had several estimates. All the estimates quoted for the same boiler which is a Worcester 40CDi condensing boiler.

The engineer fitted the boiler quickly but then said he couldn't commission it because the gas pressure is too low. Another week later and Southern Gas has replaced my meter - placing it outside my garage and put new a new pipe up to the boiler and halfway down my drive (yes they have dug my driveway up!) They said the old pipe was too narrow, but the pipe they have replaced it with seems to be only one millimeter wider - I have measured it against the old piping. My Engineer returned and said that the gas pressure is still too low and he can't commission the boiler. I keep getting told that I am lucky they haven't cut me off.

I am feeling a bit desperate now and really don't know what to do. I have paid £4.5K and still don't have a commissioned boiler. Should I ask a different Gas Safe engineer to give a second opinion?

Could someone give some advice

Thanks
Gill

Sponsored Links
Ouch.

I have a lot of sympathy with you on this one. First, the gsr in in technical terms is correct and he can't commission if the gas side of things is wrong. The problem here is who is responsible to put it right.

Gas pressures at the boiler are subject to 3 things, the demand of gas flow at the boiler (and all other gas appliances in the property have an impact on thi to), the size of piping used to connect the appliances to the meter and finally the meter size itself (different meters pass diferent amounts of gas in meters cubed). Obviously, if the external pipe is not sufficient to pas the full amount of gas into the consumer side then the rest is all moot.

I would discuss first with the gas supplier what work was done and what impact they think their would will have had ie will the u6 (meter type) etc pass the full amount of gas. Then discuss with your gsrwhat the total load requirements for your house are and the pipe sizing required to carry this load. I would suggest you don't pay all the full cost of the install just yet til you can exonerate your gsr (ie he has done everything right his side). If the pipe to the meter type you have is still too small your supplier will have to upgrade it FOC.

Somebody should be taken to task over this.The Engineer shouldnt have carried the work without checking the Gas pressure,if youve paid the said Engineer,then hes not gonna want to know. Ask BG to validate in writing why they,ve cut you off.

Also get Engineers Gasafe number and contact Gasafe. What part of the Country are you.

They will have, 'spillage'.
Evidence of spillage is instant ID.
Why it's spilling Is another question.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Unfortunately I have already paid the Gas Engineer. He says responsibility lies with Southern Gas but I am really worried that they will turn round and tell me that they have done everything they can. Apparently the boiler needs a gas pressure of 18 to be commissioned and the Engineer says he is getting 14.

British Gas cut me off because they said the flue to my old boiler was blocked, however, when it was taken down there didn't seem to be any blockage. BG said the flue was spilling and they disconnected the boiler and walked away. So much for having a Homecare agreement. Funny thing is I have a carbon monoxide detector right next to the boiler, it is working, and it didn't register anything. I have since cancelled my Homecare agreement as I really wasn't getting anything for £250 a year.

What I really need to know is who is responsible? It seems that all other parties see me as being responsible, ie if this isn't fixed you could be cut off, (I am getting this from my Gas Safe Engineer) but what on earth can 'I' do? I accepted the recommended boiler and installation work on good faith so surely it is up to him to fix things.

Its got to be down to the Gasafe guy,he shouldnt have installed a brand new boiler without checking the Gas pressure.

What i don understand is,how come your old boiler was working off existing pressure.

To be fair the old boiler was 20 years old, it was a Potterton Kingfisher and never once gave any trouble in all that time. I guess the boiler was installed when the house was built and I have been told that because of the type of boiler it was it didn't need so much pressure, have also been told that the new condensing boilers need greater pressure to operate.

Irrespective of this,the Gas guy should have checked,its in the manufacturers literature of how much cubic Gas is required. There is no excuse. :cry:

Has the working pressure at the meter been checked?
If it's correct your gas supply needs upgrading from meter to boiler, if it's low at the meter your gas supplier need to sort it out.

Hi twgas - the meter was originally right behind the boiler - other side of the wall. The meter has now been moved outside my garage and a new pipe put in through the garage and up to the old inlet into the boiler housing. I will ask the gas supplier if the working pressure at the meter has been checked as I have no idea. Who would have thought getting a new boiler would be so complicated - argh! :cry:

Who would have thought getting a new boiler would be so complicated
It's only complicated to those who don't know/understand what is required.

Irrespective of this,the Gas guy should have checked,its in the manufacturers literature of how much cubic Gas is required. There is no excuse.

Slapper, how does the guy fitting the new boiler know what the pressure will be at the new boiler without ripping up all the flooring to expose the gas line boiler to meter? Not having a dig at you but want to know how you would do it.

I have just heard that the Manager of the gas supply team is coming out to have a look this morning. Just wondered what questions I should ask?

Have I got enough gas or not?
How much compensation are you going to pay me for the cost of running, however many, electric heaters?

Slapper, how does the guy fitting the new boiler know what the pressure will be at the new boiler without ripping up all the flooring to expose the gas line boiler to meter? Not having a dig at you but want to know how you would do it.

Dead easy, you'd take two pressure measurements on the existing system with a digital manometer, then ..........

Hang on. We don't want CC numpties learning these trade secrets. I'd post this in the combustion chamber but being a mere Engineer (a real one), I'm not allowed in there; sad. :D :D :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back