Can't get boiler commissioned (low gas pressure)

Sponsored Links
Has the working pressure at the meter been checked?
If it's correct your gas supply needs upgrading from meter to boiler, if it's low at the meter your gas supplier need to sort it out.

Basically, I would have thought that would be the end of discussion.

Its been summed up in 1 single post.

Paul.

Your absolutely right Paul, it would have been and then someone decided to try and hang the Installer because he didn't undertake a task which as far as anyone can see is not required and to my mind not possible.

I have just heard that the Manager of the gas supply team is coming out to have a look this morning. Just wondered what questions I should ask?

Poor lass just needs an answer ! :oops:

Tell me my love what did the manager say ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I had two managers come out and they were, surprisingly, really nice and very helpful! They assured me that the problem would be fixed and that they would have a team out on Monday to connect a new pipe from my meter to the gas main. They said that I had a pressure at the meter of 19 and were surprised that there was only a pressure of 14 at the boiler. Anyway, they will be trying to solve the problem.

My only paranoid concern now is what happens if at the end of the day and having laid a new pipe they say I have a good pressure at the meter but the engineer still has low pressure at the boiler. Ho hum, I will wait and see.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and support everyone, I admit I was in panic mode this morning.

I have just heard that the Manager of the gas supply team is coming out to have a look this morning. Just wondered what questions I should ask?

Poor lass just needs an answer ! :oops:

Tell me my love what did the manager say ?

Ask this: What is my working pressure at the Gas Meter (in m/bar)?

Thats all you have to ask.

If the answer is between 19 and 23 then you go back to the RGI. (The person who fitted the boiler.)

He/she (the RGI) then needs to ensure you have the working pressure at your gas appliances that is defined by legislation that is in force. It may need bigger pipes, and it might need a new gas meter. Sorry for being vague, but this is an open forum. He/she will have to ensure your gas pipe/s will supply the right amount of gas to meet the requirements. End of.

This is very basic stuff for a competent RGI.

Paul.

They said that I had a pressure at the meter of 19 and were surprised that there was only a pressure of 14 at the boiler. Anyway, they will be trying to solve the problem.

Sounds like undersized pipe from meter to boiler ?

Was this changed when new boiler installed ?

They said that I had a pressure at the meter of 19 and were surprised that there was only a pressure of 14 at the boiler. Anyway, they will be trying to solve the problem.

Sounds like undersized pipe from meter to boiler ?

Was this changed when new boiler installed ?

What other appliances are installed?
I can calcuate the load if all appliances are listed. What I cant do, is see the pipe runs. This affects the sizing. I CANNOT post it here though.

Paul.

A pressure of 19 at the meter means nothing unless you know if its standing or working pressure.
How can four people be scratching their heads about an issue bubbles the chimp should be able to solve after a five minute training course?

It can be 20 mb on full load at rthe meter and 1 mB drop is allowed in the pipework.

If the meter to boiler pipework drops more thean 1 mB then thats the installers responsibility to upgrade that at his cost !

You can complain to Gas Safe and they might require he upgrades it at his cost as its his fault he did not check it whe nhe installed the boiler.

Tony

Update. Well after having a new pipe from the mains supply to the meter put in (drive dug up and awaiting reinstatement), a new meter, new larger bore pipe work from the new meter to the boiler I was still not getting the 18 mb pressure at the boiler recommended by Worcester.

The mad thing to me was that the gas supplier has moved my meter from inside the garage to outside and instead of a three quarter inch pipe in a straight line replaced it with an inch pipe with nine bends in it across the wall of the garage to the boiler (this pipe is now MY responsibility). Even I could understand that although the pipe may be larger bore the number of bends in it will reduce any gain in pressure.

Anyway, I did some research and discovered that Worcester Bosh had issued a technical update in January 09 which says that the pressure at the boiler can be less than 18 mb if there is no more than a 2.5 mb drop in pressure between the meter and the boiler. I now have 16.5 mb at the boiler and there is 19 mb (working pressure) at the meter. So - I have had the boiler commissioned!!!!!

Amazing that I have had so many 'experts' involved in this and yet I was the one that found the solution. So for anyone out there who has similar problems when having had a Worcester condensing boiler fitted, contact WB or Gas Safe for said technical bulletin, it could save a great deal of bother.

Thanks to everyone for your help

Val

If the meter to boiler pipework drops more thean 1 mB then thats the installers responsibility to upgrade that at his cost !

I don't agree with this as a general rule. Presume you mean 'in this particular example'.

to the OP- what efforts did the installer make to try and improve the inlet pressure at the boiler? Did he 'play' with the meter governor? Did he in fact do ANYTHING?

A new governor was installed along with the new meter by the gas supplier. As far as I know the installer didn't do anything, every time there was a problem he just called the gas supplier. I don't think he 'played' with the governor but couldn't be 100% sure of that.

Meme

If your original quote from the RGI was not just for installing, but also comomisioning (1)- which reading the post I suspect it was- then you could reasonably approach him for recompense for all the investigation you undertook that if (1) was his responsability.

If no joy there, then the Small Claims Court if you wish.

Perhaps the gas supply to the boiler should have been at least 28mm ? 40kw combis generally need a hefty supply, personally I always install 28mm for anything this size, especially anything with a few bends in !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back