car seats

crafty1289 said:
Read the road all you like, drive as carefully as you like. There will always be another driver who ISNT, and who could collide with you. As I demonstrated last October. :evil:

(I hate to think what might have become of the guy in the other car, had I been driving a bigger car. He'd probably have been killed)

With a thought pattern like that I'm suprised you get out of bed in the morning.

Sponsored Links
im asking you to define a "normal" car, since a 4 x 4 is quite easy to define. Not all of them are built like tanks or have the front end of a train.

I would worry more about the idiot driving than the type of car, why? because ive seen first hand what an idiot driving a car, even a clapped out fiesta driven badly for the conditions can do. When youve picked up the parts of an 8 month baby from the wreckage of a road crash spread out over a wide area, caused by someone in a normal car, then lecture me on road safety and being selfish.

personally id rather take what steps are necessary to protect my family, if thats selfish then so be it. id rather be happy to wlak out of an accident and survive with my family and be thankful than walk out and mourn them but be grateful i hadnt committed a selfish act.

Now i expect ill see this answer get disected up into small pieces and cut and pasted all over your next reply. For one whose so against people typecasting people for all sorts of reasons you are pretty quick to get on your high horse and cast sweeping statements about other people.

By the way my brother is disabled and the only car he can have adapted to suit his needs and allow him to get out and about is a 4 x 4. Does that make him selfish?

Well hopefully we can get some real light on the "debate" I've asked the Dft to send me the stats on all fatalities caused on UK roads as they are broken down into vehicle type etc, the evidence to say 4x4's are dangerous looks shaky. Just looking at the available data on-line seems to suggest that fatalities caused by 2 wheeled vehicles is hugely disporportinate and is also rising.

Once I get the stats I'll post back.

Eddie M said:
crafty1289 said:
Read the road all you like, drive as carefully as you like. There will always be another driver who ISNT, and who could collide with you. As I demonstrated last October. :evil:

(I hate to think what might have become of the guy in the other car, had I been driving a bigger car. He'd probably have been killed)

With a thought pattern like that I'm suprised you get out of bed in the morning.
What kind of a comment is that?

Is crafty not allowed to think about "what might have happened if..."?

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Eddie M said:
crafty1289 said:

What kind of a comment is that?

Is crafty not allowed to think about "what might have happened if..."?

It's called what if'ing your life away, viz a viz a waste of time.

Thermo said:
im asking you to define a "normal" car, since a 4 x 4 is quite easy to define. Not all of them are built like tanks or have the front end of a train.
Then those are not problematic. As I said, I have been putting "4x4" in quotes as not all of them are built like tanks etc. The Porsche 911 is an example.

If you are going to wriggle and claim that I have to define what a normal car is because otherwise you won't know the difference between a normal car and a high square-fronted heavy "4x4", then you're clearly not interested in discussing this.

Yes, I am aware that some "normal" cars like the Vauxhall Astra have a lower pedestrian NCAP rating than, say, the Honda CR-V, which in turn weighs less than a Mercedes E class. So there is a spectrum of weights, and of safety, and different categories overlap, and many normal cars score badly for pedestrian safety.

But taken as a whole, large "off-roaders" are on average less friendly to other road users than other classes of vehicle.

I would worry more about the idiot driving than the type of car, why? because ive seen first hand what an idiot driving a car, even a clapped out fiesta driven badly for the conditions can do. When youve picked up the parts of an 8 month baby from the wreckage of a road crash spread out over a wide area, caused by someone in a normal car, then lecture me on road safety and being selfish.
Why should I have to do that before I can state that I consider some vehicle choices to be selfish ones? Would the accident involving the badly driven clapped out fiesta have been better, or worse, if it had been a badly driven 2-3 ton off-roader?

personally id rather take what steps are necessary to protect my family, if thats selfish then so be it. id rather be happy to wlak out of an accident and survive with my family and be thankful than walk out and mourn them but be grateful i hadnt committed a selfish act.
Like I said - you are choosing to inflict disproportionate damage on other road users in order to minimise the damage to you and yours.

Now i expect ill see this answer get disected up into small pieces and cut and pasted all over your next reply.
If you don't want people to respond to points that you make, don't make them. Perhaps you should complain to DIYnot for providing the ability to quote people's posts?

For one whose so against people typecasting people for all sorts of reasons you are pretty quick to get on your high horse and cast sweeping statements about other people.
Not all.

By the way my brother is disabled and the only car he can have adapted to suit his needs and allow him to get out and about is a 4 x 4. Does that make him selfish?
No.

Nor is the farmer in his Land Rover.

But those who buy Range Rovers, and Jeep Cherokees and Toyota Amazons and Nissan Patrols etc etc etc when the only off-road driving they do is to park with 2 wheels on the kerb, and they use them in urban areas "because they are safer" - they are selfish.

ban-all-sheds said:
But taken as a whole, large "off-roaders" are on average less friendly to other road users than other classes of vehicle.

And your source of this info?

NCAP

Large Offroaders - 15 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1

Small Offroaders - 6 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.83
Small MPVs - 17 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.94
MPVs - 7 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.29
Superminis - 35 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.86
Small Family - 16 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.88
Large Family - 23 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.32
Executive - 8 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.5
Roadsters - 7 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.43

ban-all-sheds said:

Please elucidate between a heavy pedestrian NCAP one star rated Land Rover Discovery III and a zero rated Ford Mondeo. Well ?

Eddie M said:
ban-all-sheds said:

Please elucidate between a heavy pedestrian NCAP one star rated Land Rover Discovery III and a zero rated Ford Mondeo. Well ?
Please take the trouble to read the information on the site properly, so that you can understand it and use it.

The Ford Mondeo is not zero-rated, it has not been tested using the new methods so it has no results. In the old tests it twice scored 2 stars.

Also, please take the trouble to read what I wrote:

"But taken as a whole, large "off-roaders" are on average less friendly to other road users than other classes of vehicle."

And with an average score of 1 compared to the other classes averaging between 1.29 and 1.94, I think I'm right.

With 2 out of 15 large off-roaders scoring zero, compared to 2 out of 119 others, I think I'm right.

With only no large off-roaders scoring over 2 stars, compared to 18 across the other classes, I think I'm right.

ban-all-sheds said:
NCAP

Large Offroaders - 15 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1

Small Offroaders - 6 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.83
Small MPVs - 17 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.94
MPVs - 7 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.29
Superminis - 35 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.86
Small Family - 16 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.88
Large Family - 23 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.32
Executive - 8 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.5
Roadsters - 7 vehicles, average stars for pedestrian safety = 1.43

Oh dear, post 2001 would help.

Further scrutiny of the data reveals that it is actually too old to make comparisons, models have changed significantly since this data was compiled.

I look forward to receiving that data from the Dft.

Sponsored Links
Back