Super Minis
Small Offroaders
Executives
Roadsters
Large Family
MPV's

Not sure that fits that well.

A Small MPV safer than a super mini.

A small offroader safer than a roadster?

Questionable.

Sponsored Links
At a rough guess I would say there are more lorries, buses, coaches and big vans on the roads than all the 4x4's put together.

I wonder, what is the NCAP rating of a 40 tonne lorry?

Eddie M said:
Whilst I was happy to use NCAP data when I thought it supported my beliefs, further scrutiny reveals that I no longer feel that way.

I look forward to receiving different data from the Dft in the hope that it supports me.
:D :D :D

Pensdown said:
I wonder, what is the NCAP rating of a 40 tonne lorry?
Zero for pedestrian safety, I'm sure.

But 40 tonne lorrys have to be big.

5 seater cars to use in urban areas do not.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Eddie M said:
Whilst I was happy to use NCAP data when I thought it supported my beliefs, further scrutiny reveals that I no longer feel that way.

I look forward to receiving different data from the Dft in the hope that it supports me.
:D :D :D

Changing what someone wrote is a bit devious don't you think. The data is quite old.

Anyhow as I've said before I accept that hitting someone in a 4x4 is more likely to cause injury, but in terms of NCAP ratings, no more dangerous than many cars on the road. As 4x4's make up about 5% of vehicles on the road, I would maintain that you are much more likely to be hit by a car.

Sorry about the Ford Mondeo (and Mercedes c-class) star rating, I hold my hands up, but as your NCAP averages point out, an NCAP rating on average does not reflect the mass of the vehicle. Also averaging the NCAP rating out assumes that people actually drive these cars in a uniform distribution. Obviously I can't vouch for where you live, but round here there are an awful lot of Audi's Saab's BMW's E class merc's etc. Unfortunately the averages don't reflect this. The Dft stats if available will be interesting, I really don't know what they'll show.

We'll see what the offical figures say, although they'll be out of date no doubt, it will be interesting to see if there is a disproportionate number of road deaths attributable to 4x4's

I know what you are saying in that even though 4x4's make up approx 5% of cars on the road they are generally unneccessary, but the same argument can be applied to many cars, for example the very popular 2 seater NCAP zero star rated Audi TT is a bit unnecessary. Why do cars go above 70MPH? when that it the maximum permissable speed on any public road.

Eddie M said:
Changing what someone wrote is a bit devious don't you think.
Apologies - I didn't think anyone wouldn't realise that it was a spoof - a tongue-in-cheek comment on what you wrote

The data is quite old.
That didn't seem to bother you here, here or here.

Anyhow as I've said before I accept that hitting someone in a 4x4 is more likely to cause injury, but in terms of NCAP ratings, no more dangerous than many cars on the road. As 4x4's make up about 5% of vehicles on the road, I would maintain that you are much more likely to be hit by a car.
On average more dangerous than most, and often unnecessary, so that 5% could be reduced.

ban-all-sheds said:
Eddie M said:
Changing what someone wrote is a bit devious don't you think.
Apologies - I didn't think anyone wouldn't realise that it was a spoof - a tongue-in-cheek comment on what you wrote

The data is quite old.
That didn't seem to bother you here, here or here.

On average more dangerous than most, and often unnecessary, so that 5% could be reduced.

Well the first one was vehicle impact NCAP ratings, the second was admittedly a selection of data, but one that does show that a lot of popular cars have one star pedestrian NCAP ratings.

The Ford Mondeo NCAP reference I have admitted was incorrect.

All that said, it is disappointing that the data is old. This is not something exclusive to NCAP the Dft data is also old as is any data you can get from the ONS

As I've said if I can obtain the Dft data then it will make interesting reading, I've also said I have no idea if the number of road deaths attributable or involving 4x4's will be disproportionate.

On average, again it is difficult to use an average, as that assumes that people uniformly drive an average spectrum of cars

Mods....rather than play around with my post...just delete it like you do with the others. I would hate to feel left out

well youve got your opinion BAS and ive got mine and i completely disagree with you. im afraid you come across as a very arrogant and self opinionated individual who is quick to pull others up for making sweeping statements, but happy to argue his sweeping statements to the death. To be honest im bored to death with it.

Use the right tool for the job. Its quicker in the long run..........and safer!!

And the right tool for driving in urban areas is not a large 4x4.

Thermo said:

Don't fall asleep at the wheel - especially if it's one of those big, silly 'I'm a man Betty' 4x4s.

dont even own one joe, just dont think you can automatically assume everyone that drives one is selfish. Still i should know better :rolleyes:

ban-all-sheds said:
Eddie M said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Thermo said:
So you'd rather give your family less protection would you?
So you'd buy yours' by deliberately doing something that increases the risk to mine, would you?

Charity begins at home.
Do unto others as you would be done to.

Actually this is a good quote. Heaven forbid, and I mean that, you are very unfortunately subjected to a head on collision, as your stomach leaps into your mouth, you think :-

First:-

My kids !!
My Wife !!
Me !!

Re-arrange that combo how you like.

Second,

The third party.

I dare anyone to say differently.

Eddie M said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Eddie M said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Thermo said:
So you'd rather give your family less protection would you?
So you'd buy yours' by deliberately doing something that increases the risk to mine, would you?

Charity begins at home.
Do unto others as you would be done to.

Actually this is a good quote. Heaven forbid, and I mean that, you are very unfortunately subjected to a head on collision, as your stomach leaps into your mouth, you think :-

First:-

My kids !!
My Wife !!
Me !!

Re-arrange that combo how you like.

Second,

The third party.

I dare anyone to say differently.

i agree with you, the last thing on your mind is the other party.

Sponsored Links
Back