Carbon monoxide alarm from gas fire

I don't understand why you are not forcing their hands and contacting gas safe yourself?

If they were my parents, I would be pretending to live there and organise an inspection. False positive or not.... Your father fell asleep in a room with a running gas fire; and the alarm sounded.

There is zero ambiguity.

Sponsored Links
Although if flavel went and the fire was fitted on the wrong (unsuitable) chimney and had spilled and set off the co alarm the guy would leave it operating?. Something doesn't stack up.

When flavel attended the national grid person had already been and isolated it. It was later that the original fitter refitted and recommissioned it.

Can anyone say how it's been operating for a year and yet on this one night there was a problem? If the flue is too small then it's too small every day.

FFS!... what's the worst that can (could've) happen(ed)?
Your parents (dad at least) is dead... and this conversation is taking place in a court!!!!
Errr on the side of caution... cut through the bureaucracy and pay whatever it takes to get it sorted... have the fight later and be grateful for the CO alarm :)

Sponsored Links
National Grid lad would turn it off if you dog had farted they know nothing of Gas appliances and are not qualified to test them

My parents haven't used the fire and promised they won't be. They are going to get a new one from a fireplace shop. However they don't want to do the gas safe inspection.

Whatever is fitted will be using the same flue that has caused all this grief.

Use the fookin heating and forget the fire.

Why do think boilers are now "room sealed!"... Gas fires are 10 steps backwards :)

Why do think boilers are now "room sealed!"... Gas fires are 10 steps backwards :)
If not familiar with them then yes..;)
Nothing better than a DFE roaring away on those chilly nights...

If not familiar with them then yes..;)
Nothing better than a DFE roaring away on those chilly nights...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back