Certificate for re-wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, a re wire im having done is nearing completion, can anybody tell me what the proceadure is? The fella has messed me around a lot already and with just the consumer unit to fit and testing to go im sure he will want the rest of his money. But what should I get in return. unless im mistaken the certificate comes through the post but is there any paperwork he should hand me other than a receipt. And does anyone know how long the certificate might take to arrive Please?

Sponsored Links
He should hand you an electrical installation installation certificate, he may either hand this to you in person, or he might post it out with the bill after he does his paperwork at the office

He will also notify his professional body, who will in due course send you a building regs certificate

Blimey that was quick :D
Thanks so Im entitled to get this before paying the last of the money I take it?

Technically, yes, the work isn't 'done' until certificated, though this will come down to your contract, does it specifiy a % on first fix, a % on second fix and snagging, and a % on final completion??

In the absense of anything like that and just a 'pay on completion' agreement, then payment should be due upon receiving the certificate, however many small contractors, having been messed around in the past by domestic and small clients sometimes do try and hold them back, the NICEIC and other professional bodies do frown upon this, but the practice is understandable, even if not agreeable

Sponsored Links
I never issue a certificate until I have had all the money - this is my insurance for non payers!

However, I would willingly show the customer a copy of the certificate if they asked - just not hand it over. Maybe this is the way to go. Once you've seen it, you then pay the final balance.

The second cert in my experience can take 2-6 weeks

Well he's on a day rate and as a builder myself I know about cash flow problems and he had money worries so ive been paying him at the end of each day. But hes taken some liberties and I know what will happen, he will hold his hand out expect to be paid the last bit and ill have all the stresses that he's given me the last few weeks until I finally/hopefuly get the certificate through the post. So I thought i'd come on here and see if im being reasonable. Problem is if he gets the hump and refuses hes already been paid all but about £200. And I dont suppose someone else would come in and sign it off for £200.

The method I use is no cert until money paid, I am quite happy to go away do all the documentations and return with it for balance of amount agreed.
The work should be notified within a month of completion providing the electrician is with a scheme? Do you now this or has it been notified prior to work starting?
After I have notified my scheme provider, they then notify the client within the week of me registering the work.
There is an easy way to find out if your electrician is on the registered list.
enter details of the electrician here
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

Well I got no problem paying straight away and ive never knocked anyone in my life. Can anyone give me an idea what I might have to pay another electrician to change the fuse board and test everything (everything else is new) and give a certficate. He's taken massive liberties and it would be nice not to have to deal with him anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back