chalkboard studs....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

my flat has mostly chalkboard walls and im attempting to fix a metal plate (lcd mount) up in the living room. borrowing one of those cavity sensors i located my studs and marked out all my points of interest.

anyhoo, i poked the first hole through the chalkboard and set about pre-drilling a hole for a woodscrew. after about ten seconds of the drill bit just spinning, i cleared the hole in the gyprock and was quite surprised to see metal where i was expecting to see wood. i assumed the joists would all be wood (not sure why).

now im a little confused. without me ruining my walls further/needlessly can anyone tell me....

- are my joists like metal I-beams or something?, OR
- are they definately wood with a metal cover?

any help/advice would be appreciated here.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I didnt even know metal studs were even in use. Looks like your right, i only now noticed the cavity sensor also has a metal-sensing facility and it seems to confirm all metal studs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back