changing a fuse in a fuse box

They are designed for on load switching.

Things like the little sliders in schneider DBs are for off load isolation. Operating them on load will ruin them. You have to remove the load with the circuit breaker which is designed for on load switching first.

Sponsored Links
Alright, I will admit defeat but I can't see why removing the load by switching off the load itself is not adequate.

It's a good job we never have to pull the cut-out.

Alright, I will admit defeat but I can't see why removing the load by switching off the load itself is not adequate.

Whenever I've seen a MOP pull the cutout he's switched off the main switch in the CU to remove the load, don't know if this is policy or not

The trouble is with a DIYer we can't be sure they will fully remove the load, or that there isn't a fault still on the circuit which blew the fuse in the first place.

The safest thing to do is turn off the main switch before inserting the fuse. If there is still a fault the fuse will go again, but no one ges hurt, and the fuse holder doesn't get ruined.

Sponsored Links

Whenever I've seen a MOP pull the cutout he's switched off the main switch in the CU to remove the load, don't know if this is policy or not

AFAIK it is policy for both MOPs and DNO operatives.

Precisely, but he hasn't isolated the cut-out.

But the installation is off load, so it's ok. He's also a competent engineer, and not a DIYer who's not sure how to take a circuit off load, or to ensure it's clear to re-energise.

Yep it's policy particularly if called to a blown fuse to only re-energise the smallest amount of the installation from the cut-out. We would also give it all a close visible inspection
(a 100A fuse blowing in your had, not withstanding PPE, is not nice)

If we feel we need to we can, might annoy a lot of other customers though

Yep it's policy particularly if called to a blown fuse to only re-energise the smallest amount of the installation from the cut-out. We would also give it all a close visible inspection
(a 100A fuse blowing in your had, not withstanding PPE, is not nice)

If we feel we need to we can, might annoy a lot of other customers though

What happens if the DNO insert a substation fuse onto a dead short - I wonder???.

What happens if the DNO insert a substation fuse onto a dead short - I wonder

It can be quite exciting!! Done it more times than I can count!

The design of our LV boards is such that it is a safe operation that has little risk to the operator if done properly. In fact I can't recall any incidents doing it!

To be honest nowadays we use Fusemates or Rezaps to make the initial energisation which both allow us to stand clear.

Johnd is the person who seem to be right on all aspects -

my sister e mailed me and told me the alarm has a back up on the battery

boyfirend came over - we have all be ill and stressed over christmas also over some other aspects of double glazing and fensa - i feel like ive done a thesis on double glazing the the laws but it all gave me a mini stroke asi found i purchased a property which didnt have the fensa and solicitor didnt spot it and sellers lied on their form as they had double glazing done in 2005 no cert no guarantee so i will have to have it re-done if i want to re-sell and it gave me a mni stoke and bursted bllod vessels in brain. hence typing is bad as one handed.

bf siad we turn off elect - pull back the breaker and replace fuse - simple

I'm sorry to hear of your stress. Don't worry about the glazing. If you need to sell in the future you can take out a insurance policy to cover you / the purchaser & all subsequent purchasers (it's alot cheaper than replacing windows.

yes thanks steve i know abou the insurance its abt 21 pounds just my solicitor didnt point it out - ah well c'est la vie

bf says trouble is i worry too much about thsese things and i should start to live a little bit as its been all over christmas problem

christmas tree is still up as i cannot tkae it down with the one hand
inclidenlty i would reccommnerd anyone to have replacement windows donw to have it by a fensa builder

You might find your solictors would pay for a policy even now. Always worth a letter of complaint, it'll only cost you a stamp. It should be in the Client Care Letter who you need to write to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back