Cheap Skate customer....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been to see a job in a small shop today and the customer would like new flourescents fitted which is fine but he does not want to spend any more money on the lights than he has to so wants to opt out of having diffusers.

He also wondered if there are any regs of health and safety issues with the diffusers and if he doesn't have them will he be breaking any regs

Any opinions/ knowledge appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
There is health and safety issue.

Ask the customer what it would cost him if a customer was injured by broken glass from a shattered flourescent if it was shown that (s)he had not taken the minimum care to prevent the accident.

If it is a food shop then there are regualtions about glass being protected by shatterproof coverings.

I said to the man that for the extra cost it is definitely worth it as they are cheap in comparison to the lights but you know how these people can be...

I will tell him no regulations but as a percausion to getting his ass sued then its worth it

Thanks

In my experience you've got more chance of being hit by a falling diffuser/louvre than you have from a broken tube.

Sponsored Links
We used to do chains of sports shops and the modulars had to be protected and the louvres chained up to stop over enthusiastic footballers/basketballers bringing them down with their balls ;)

I have also seen fluorescent tubes with a layer of plastic on them to hold them together if they should get smashed, or a plastic tube to instert the fluorescent tube into for the same effect. Given these were both in display fridges.

If it is a food shop, then the law (2006 Food Hygiene Regs in England) requires protection. This not the same as a diffuser. Some diffusers are likely to shatter. Plastic coated tubes are good and do work, but a complete cover is easier to clean.
V

I think protection is only required where the tubes are within reach of customers. The ceiling lights in our shop are 4 foot modular cassettes, with louvres. The fridge lights are all in open-ended plastic tubes, as they are within reach of customers. However, the terminals on some of the lamps leave a lot to be desired. In some of the fridges, the lamp terminations are 2 slide-on insulated terminals on each end. No end cap. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back