Co2 Bottles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As this is my first time on here, I was wondering if any one out there has any knowledge of Co2 bottles. Are they the same, if I want to use one in a fish tank to those that they use for welding? I thought that there might be 2 different types of Co2. Also are the connectors on the bottles and the gauges the same in different countries?
Sorry to go on about this but I am trying to start a Co2 system in my tropical fish tank.

Sponsored Links
Your reply to this is by adding Co2 to the water it helps the plants to grow as they need Co2 to do there photothinceces. (Sorry can't find the spelling for this)
waltone

Sponsored Links
waltone said:
Your reply to this is by adding Co2 to the water it helps the plants to grow as they need Co2 to do there photothinceces. (Sorry can't find the spelling for this)
waltone
must be hard to keep a balance, how do you regulate/check for this?

Hi, there is a fine balance on how much to put in, but using 2 test kits, KH and GH you can determine the amount of Co2 to add. This can be about 3 bubbles a min or more if the tests shows more is needed. Also you have to have a fine needle valve so as to make those fine ajustments.
Waltone

There are many sizes and types of CO2 cylinder out there. There are big ones that you use for pressurising beer kegs (these are "welding" sized cylinders), ranging down to tidgy ones that you use to reinflate bicycle tyres. I would imagine for your purposes you would be using something in between.

I understand your concerns regarding "types" of CO2. Some chemicals are made using processes that leave small amounts of harmful chemicals in them (e.g. 99.9% pure ethanol contains benzene). The good thing about CO2 is that it is readily made and involves nothing particularly noxious. Hence why we can buy cylinders of the stuff to make fizzy drinks. If you get CO2 that is intended for beverage use then it is certainly unlikely to be harmful to your fish.

Connections will differ, depending on cylinder size for one thing, so the best thing to do is to find a supplier of CO2 cylinders of a size you are happy with, ask them what fittings and adaptors you need and then work from that. If you explain what you intend doing they may even be able to direct you to the correct regulators and valves.

Back