Combi boiler heating problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi need some guidance with regards to my daughter's Alpha Ocean 240 combi, broke down with no DHW and CORGI tech yesterday serviced boiler and got the DHW to work (he wrote on report that the overheat thermo was disconnected??). Heating cycle came on for 2 mins then cut out, room stat and pump OK.

Recommended new boiler rather than spend money on labour to try and find problem, can anyone advise why CORGI reg tech would disconnected the overheat stat and just what could be the heating problem? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Check his CORGI card. He CANNOT disconnect any safety sensores/ modify boiler. You do NOT need a new boiler either. If you have difficulty getting him back, contact trading standards or CORGI.

I think he found that the overheat stat had BEEN disconnected and he re connected it and it is this that is causing the boiler to trip Am I right?

If its an Ocean then they are fairly old (Re badged as ALPHA boilers some 10 yrs ago) so it may be worth looking into a new one.

If you are unsure of the engineer seek a second opinion

Many thanks for the two replies to date, I will double check his written report and can confirm the house was built in 1997 together with three other identical ones. It may be that the builder had a brought a job lot. Will keep you posted of my findings.

Sponsored Links
Hi have got the technician's report in front of me and it clearly states "overide overheat themostat". I will try and get a second opinion for my daughter as well as contacting the company concerned. Should a replacement be reqd the tech recommends a Baxi 80e any opinions on this make, my experience is limited to my mother's Baxi room heater/back boiler which has given 15 years good service.

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back