Combi Boiler Hot Water not so hot... help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

Need some help with oue Combi Boiler. It's a Valliant Combi Boiler.

Essentially, the boiler appears to be working fine. It heats the radiators superbly!!.. We had it serviced last year and the chap said it was in brilliant working order, and although getting on a little, was still in working perfectly well.

Our issue is that the hot water isn't working very well. It doesn't get overly hot. I have tried not opening the tap so much, so as to slow the flow rate down and this works a little, but with a pregnant wife who wants a proper hot bath... its not quite there.

Is there anything I can look at or try to get the water hotter? I notice there is a water temp dial under the boiler, but someonw appears to have mashed it with their water pump pliers.

Many thanks in advance!

Dougie212

Sponsored Links
Hi Dougie, our Vaillant combi has separate rotary control knobs for the hot water and heating (as would most boiler I would think?).

Why not simply pull off the knobs and swap them over to test it?

If the knobs don't pull off easy surely you must still be able to turn the broken knob by hand? (turn fully clockwise for max temp).

I stress I'm not a plumber etc but only just joined this forum myself so thought I'd chip in with something. Hope it's of some use :)

Thanks for your fast reply...

There is an adjuster for the water, but someone has taken the plastic cover off of it, and mashed the metal "tap" type knob thing.

I will try and adjust it... anyone else got any other ideas?

Fingers crossed, this is a pic of the water temp adjuster, with it's crooked and squished knob.... tried turning it clockwise and anti.. and its not budging either way...

[/img]

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the valve has seized due to infrequent use ( you should turn this control both ways every few months to keep it free) but for now try some plus gas give it time to work then use mole grips tightly on spindle- may start moving if youre lucky,If not new vave time.Problem is made worse by the temp of incoming water.Regards J

Hmm... That could make sense with the water temp then if this is not performing... Thanks!!!.. On the off chance the plus gas wont work, is it a major job to fit a new valve? Where would I get one from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back