combi boiler not workin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the combi boiler is not workin. i have found it to be the thermal cutout. but the story to it breaking is as follows

my dad decided to do some plumbing work and put a new radiator into a room. he disconnected the old pipe and sealed the ends (he is using thicker pipe so was gonna take it to the main feed/return). he forgot to move the pipe forom the side of the joist and went thru it. so we had to fix that leak. he then added the new radiator. after some time bldding radiators to get the air out, the thermal cut out tripped a few times then once reset the boiler would fire up.

then it got worse. he decided to screw the floorboards down. straight thru the new pipe. so we had to repair it again. we bled the radiators again, but the boiler stopped workin. the pump started up, but that was it. after 30 mins i founf it to be a problem with the threaml cutout. i bypassed the thermal cutout and it fired up. so its in pieces with a wire shortin the thermal for a few days.

main question is (if youve read this far) is why would the thermal cutout stop workin? are they easy to get a hold of/replace? its from a worcester 240 combi rsf

Sponsored Links
thermal cut-out probably hasn't stop working but was doing it's job protecting the boiler from overheating, can't do that now :LOL:

doitall said:
thermal cut-out probably hasn't stop working but was doing it's job protecting the boiler from overheating, can't do that now :LOL:

its worked fine for years. the thermal isnt in the tripped position. the buttonn used to jump out and have to be pressed in. its still in.

DONT RUN YOUR BOILER WITH THE LIMIT STAT LIKED OUT,UNLESS YOU LIKE BIG BANGS. The limit stat is tripping because its overheating,its set at around 104 deg C, without it you could end up with a very big bang,ive seen one after someone wedged the button down with timber,not a pretty site. You have been told by the stat that its getting to hot so why ignore it? .

Sponsored Links
COG said:
DONT RUN YOUR BOILER WITH THE LIMIT STAT LIKED OUT,UNLESS YOU LIKE BIG BANGS. The limit stat is tripping because its overheating,its set at around 104 deg C, without it you could end up with a very big bang,ive seen one after someone wedged the button down with timber,not a pretty site. You have been told by the stat that its getting to hot so why ignore it? .

it only has the link in when it needs to be used for hot water. otherwise the link is removed. its only gonna be there until i get a new1 (monday at the latest). thing is tho, y did it suddenly stop workin?

next question:

wheres the best place to get a replacement thermal cutout?

Hot water is the bigest demand with the smallest water content. Boil a kettle ,or buy a new stat its a an on the shelf part at any decent suplier,about£12 ,cheaper than a new wall.

Leave him alone and let him blow himself up, it's his house and by law he has the power and right to do whatever he likes, it's for the rest of us to have the shiitt regulated out of us.

It is RIDDOR reportable for anyone qualified or unqualified to bypass a safety device on a gas appliance. I would be very careful if i were you.

Ignorance is a wonderful thing. Another DIY task that could well end in tears if not LOSS OF LIFE!!!

Wake up and remove the link. Shut the boiler down and get qualified engineer to fix the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back