Combi-boilers in cupboards- fire rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer of mine recently fell out with her builder. She commissioned someone to create a 233 page snag list.

I have scanned some of it.

A lot of the report seems to make sense but there are a couple of bits that surprised me.

The property was a first floor maisonette, An additional floor was added so that it could become two separate flats (1st and 2nd floor).

Each floor has its own combi-boiler. Both have boilers in storage space with twin, floor to ceiling MDF doors.

The report says that they should have fire rated doors rather than MDF.

I have worked in numerous properties when the combi is in a cupboard in the kitchen.

Is the report correct?

Sponsored Links
From memory generally a flat above ground floor level should have a protected escape route to main stairway or final exit point. Therefore if the boiler cupboard is directly off the main circulation space/hallway then 30 mins fire separation would be required. If the cupboard is in the kitchen and the kitchen is separated from the hallway then no fire separation required to the cupboard.
EDIT: I just checked and this requirement only applies to flats above 4.5m from the ground, so 2nd floor and above, not 1st floor and above as I said originally. So much for the old memory!

Last edited:
Who did the report?

I've never heard of the requirement.

A boiler in a cupboard needs a fire proof door because its a fire risk, and yet you can have the same boiler exposed in your kitchen or front room and it's not a fire risk.

I worked in new build and occasionally the client would commission a snagging report from one of those companies for their own peace of mind.
Generally the snagging list they compile is nonsense..bulked up to justify their extravagant prices.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if this is of any use? https://www.safelincs.co.uk/fire-door-regulations/. I don’t believe our flats have fire rated doors for the boilers in kitchens (which aren’t standard units and doors, I’m talking floor to ceiling like how you describe and I’m pretty sure they’re 3/4” ply.

From memory generally a flat above ground floor level should have a protected escape route to main stairway or final exit point. Therefore if the boiler cupboard is directly off the main circulation space/hallway then 30 mins fire separation would be required. If the cupboard is in the kitchen and the kitchen is separated from the hallway then no fire separation required to the cupboard.
EDIT: I just checked and this requirement only applies to flats above 4.5m from the ground, so 2nd floor and above, not 1st floor and above as I said originally. So much for the old memory!

Thanks for that.

Anyone in either of the two bedrooms on the second floor would indeed need to walk past the cupboard housing the boiler.

Will post photos when I next visit site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back