combi pcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Worcester 28cdi lights and then the red light flashes and it stops ignition.

I am told it is a PCB problem, but these replacement circuit boards are £180, which seems a lot especially if this does not fix it (NEW BOILER!).

How do you take out the PCB and get at the PCB connectors?

Sponsored Links
I am told it is a PCB problem, but these replacement circuit boards are £180, which seems a lot especially if this does not fix it (NEW BOILER!).

Yes, I agree!

If its a boiler engineer who has diagnosed the PCB as the cause then he cannot charge you for the replacement if its not the fault can he!

He must be held responsible for his diagnosis, after all thats what you have paid him to do!

Tony

PS Why did you put "NEW BOILER" at the end?

If you call a gasman out and he diagnoses a duff PCB then if he is wrong, then he takes the hit and should not charge you, I charge people for fixing a boiler, not for fitting parts randomly in hope. If I ever make a wrong diagnosis,( Even I'm not perfect) then the part would not be fitted or charged for.
If on the other hand, you intend to diagnose the boiler yourself, buy the part yourself and fit the part yourself, then you stand to save money unless you diagnose wrong, in which case you lose as many suppliers won't take the part back once fitted... That's the gamble ;) This is where our experience comes in to play and what you pay us for.

Sponsored Links
Is it igniting,then the burner is cutting out after 10 secs,or is it just sparking. If it's firing then it may not be pcb,it could be its not getting to thee flame sensor,does it carry on sparking even when main flames come on,if it does keep sparking,then have you had any work done on the electrics in the house,might be the incoming power feed is crossed,so the live is connected to the neutral at the pcb

so the live is connected to the neutral at the pcb

There would be a big bang if the live was connected to the neutral!

Perhaps you meant if the live and neutral connections were reversed?

Agile you'd think so,but ive been to worcester's were the live from the s/spare is connected to the neutral on the pcb and neutrul to live,and it gets as far as the main jets firing,but ignition keeps sparking until the main jets cut off,and when feed is corrected it works ok,no harm done to any parts

:(
An experienced plumber looked at the boiler system on Saturday and thought the PCB was probably OK and that the fault might be the thermostats on either side of the boiler. Well today (Monday) we tried out the thermostats against a multivoltmeter, although the overheat stat was out of stock so we by-passed it temporarily, replaced the ignition sensor (£5) and spoke to a Worcester engineer. The printed circuit board is self diagnostic, apparently. When the over-heat thermostat was by-passed, the flashing ignition light flashed fast instead of slow. However, the boiler would not light continuously, so I suppose it is a new PCB.

The Corgi engineers said take out the old PCB board and fit a new one and it will work (the older model has been superceded). However, they didn't seem to keen to do it themselves.
Juliet had a similar problem with a worcester boiler years ago, when a succession of engineers, Worcester engineers and plumbers looked at her other boiler and the bills rose from a few hundred pounds to over £500 and the fault was a cheap switch.

Hence the reluctance to rely totally on a new PCB.

The live and neutral are not misaligned! but thanks for the caution.

If you call a gasman out and he diagnoses a duff PCB then if he is wrong, then he takes the hit and should not charge you, I charge people for fixing a boiler, not for fitting parts randomly in hope. If I ever make a wrong diagnosis,( Even I'm not perfect) then the part would not be fitted or charged for.
If on the other hand, you intend to diagnose the boiler yourself, buy the part yourself and fit the part yourself, then you stand to save money unless you diagnose wrong, in which case you lose as many suppliers won't take the part back once fitted... That's the gamble ;) This is where our experience comes in to play and what you pay us for.

an experienced plumber?

why would he know anything about your boiler?

now an experienced boiler engineer would be more appropiate ;)

anyway, worcester do a fixed priced repair including up to 3 major components for £168 so i am lead to believe :)

Bite the bullet pay for a fixed price repair from bg, e-on, worcester or whoever with a guarantee.

Could be that the boiler is full of air.

AAV might be knacked causing the boiler to overheat.

AAV is on top left hand side of boiler ,undo the small plastic cap which should let some water out if air comes out try resetting the boiler.

Hold reset button in for at least 20 secs.

Failing that WB fixed price repair includes the PCB ,fan or gas valve for £180.

;)
The Corgi engineers came back today and fitted the new PCB I bought from mjt controls in Bristol and the hot water and heating are now running properly. Many thanks to Neil and Allen and also thanks to Alan Kingstone of Exclusively Kitchens who recommended the two.

quote="robertmatthewman";p="884498"]My Worcester 28cdi lights and then the red light flashes and it stops ignition.

How do you take out the PCB and get at the PCB connectors?[/quote]

Could I ask how much you paid these "experienced plumbers" to:-

1. Come and diagnose the PCB as faulty.

2. Come back and fit the PCB that you had bought?

My interest is that if I diagnose the PCB as faulty then I expect to bring and fit one for the customer.

If, and it has not happened yet, I had wrongly diagnosed the fault then I would refit the old PCB and keep the new one in stock.

Of course thats easier as we keep most PCBs in stock for common boiler models so that we can repair most boilers on one visit. We have to really, as we cannot afford not to, because we dont charge extra to return with the required part.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back