compression fittings on gas pipe under floor

I have read this post but not seen anyone state the obvious on any installation ONE OR MORE... Not to current standards constitutes an AT RISK CLASSIFICATION! So as stated there are 2 compression fittings so is at least AT RISK. And to be fair to the plumber quoting £50 it's not just replacing two fittings its a gas tightness test as well after the work is done!

lol. back to the books

Sponsored Links
Can the mods move this to the CC i`m sure if it takes 9 pages to discuss how to fit a meter washer this could run to 20 plus pages ;)

Didn't mean to resurrect the dead (post)!
But while I'm here are any of you guys gas safe registered cause if you are you need to sit and revise your notes and gsiur!
Compression fittings are not allowed at all under floorboards or floors if they're not accessible... So whilst you may be able to lift your floorboards after unscrewing many screws or removing nails enabling you to gain access, if someone carpeted or laid laminate that would then make them inaccessible. Gsiur flow chart go and check it... It's really easy to follow, Id diamond in blue AR diamond in blue!

Sponsored Links
The gas safe regs NCs scale does not just apply to flues either it applies to the whole installation, that means boiler, flues, pipework ,equapotential bonding fittings, siting and materials used....

The gas safe regs NCs scale does not just apply to flues either it applies to the whole installation, that means boiler, flues, pipework ,equapotential bonding fittings, siting and materials used....

You are half right , the totting up of NCS to AR or ID is only when the faults are flue or ventillation related or a combination of both, compression fittings under a floor if there were any amount of them would only be NCS

Conundrum.........................

Gas fire supply requires capping off under floor , can't get to back to branch so have to cap off locally next to fire , do we use a soldered stop end? , or maybe a comp stop end so supply can be purged?

I won't say what I prefer to use........ :LOL:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<div class="page" title="Page 1">

</div>
</body>
</html>

HomePlumbingHeatingDrainageGalleryInformationEmail

How to use compression fittings

Compression fittings are very simple to use mechanical plumbing fittings. It is imperative, as with solder fittings, that the pipe being inserted into the compression fittings are cut square. Have a look at my information page on cutting copper pipe if you are not familiar with cutting copper pipe.

Compression fitting are made up of a body, nuts and olives. The body can be a coupler or union, an elbow, a tee a reducer etc. Compression fittings can be used on copper and plastic PEX pipe so therefore useful in transitioning between the two materials.

Compression fittings have several advantages over solder fittings. They can be used when no hot work is not permitted or it would be too mush paperwork to obtain clearance for hot work. Compression fittings can be used when there is still water resting in the pipe. They can even be used “live” IE in a plumbing emergency cutting the pipe and attaching the fitting to the pipe whilst water is pouring out. Also very little skill is required to install a compression fitting.

Compression fittings can actually be used on gas pipe work as long as the pipe work is readily accessible IE not under a floorboard. This is very useful when needing to cut off the gas supply to an appliance. With a solder cap you would need to remove the gas meter before soldering therefore greatly increaing the time on site.

Compression fittings are very easy to install. Simply cut the copper pipe or PEX, slide on the nut followed by an copper or brass olive and insert the assembly into the socket of the body. Then tighten the nut finger tight on to the compression fitting body and turn the nut a couple of revolutions with a spanner whilst holding the body with a spanner or pair of water pump pliers. It should be noted that you can over tighten compression fittings distorting the olive. If you hear the fitting “Squeak” whilst you are tightening it up you have probably tightened it enough. Some plumbers I know tighten the nuts up half a turn past finger tight and that’s it. It really is down to experience and personal preference.

Jointing compounds

Some people, myself included like to smear jointing compound onto the olive before assembling the compression fitting. The reason for this is that although the fittings are made to close tolerances there will always be an odd fitting in the batch that has a greater tolerance than is wished and could possibly “Sweat” if no jointing compound was used therefore requiring the pipe work to be drained and the fitting remade. I personally err on the side of caution however one great plumber I know has never used jointing compound in his life. How he gets away with it I’ll never know.

If using jointing compounds on oil, gas or potable water always ensure your jointing compound is suitable for the job.

Compression Tee Body

Compression Olive

Compression Nut

For a demonstration of assembling a compression fitting you can find a video demonstration in the video gallery.

These quotes are from building industry secs and regs and from professional plumbing and heating websites and manufacturers of compression fittings. We would all like easy jobs being able to purge from compression fittings etc etc and whilst being mechanically sound and used on multiple applications ie jet engines compression fittings really shouldn't be left under floorboards or under floors that are in accessible... I mean come on guys that's why we now have flues in voids regs

He turns up in the CC i will def get banned ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back