condensing vs "traditional" boilers

KR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am in the process of upgrading my boiler for CH and hot water. The two heating engineers I have spoken to have conflicting opinions on whether to go with a condensing boiler or a traditional one. As I understand it, the complaints on the condensing boiler are: too complicated so repairs are always significant; requires a lot more ongoing maintenance to keep it running correctly; the condencing boilers are prone to rusting; and finally that the condensing boilers do not actually save you money in the long run.

I understand that condensing boilers will soon become mandatory, but, apparently we can still install the more traditional style.

Apologies for rambling on, but, I would appreciate your comments.

Sponsored Links
At this point in time condensing units do not have the reliability that conventional boilers do, but they are getting better and they will save you money.

How long they will take to save money is another matter. Combi boilers are supposed to save money. Not given the amount of maintenance they need.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments-- it mirrors what the engineers have said.

My bias is to go with the most efficient method with the idea that a new boiler should last 15 yrs or so and so over time it will pay for itself. I understand that condensing boilers have been used in europe for around 20 years- are there any models that you are aware of that are more reliable/require less maintenance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back