Technical Condensing boiler questions ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In order to understand a problem we have with neighbours condensing boiler i would like to know the following - This unit runs on LPG if that makes any difference - these questions are related to hot water use

1. Is there are hot water tank for a condensing boiler or is it a constant feed on demand.

I am trying to understand if the timeclock starts on the hour will the boiler try and heat up water immediately or does it wait until something is used ie hot water

2 . Does a condensing boiler have any type of fan that runs continually the boiler is switched on (ie with the time clock) but no demand.

3. or does it have a fan that runs only when its burning

4. If there is a tank - for a average 5 bed home how long would that take to heat up

Be very grateful to have the answers from someone who has more knowlege that me Thanks

Sponsored Links
1/ u can buy either.

a/ if u buy a combination boiler it will heat the water on demand, if u buy a conventional boiler u'll have a cold water cistern in the loft and a hot water cylinder in the airing cuboard? and that will store water. u set the times for the water to be heated up

2/ fans work when combustion takes place

3/ see above

4/ the size of the house is not so important as the use of the water is. if u have a large family then i would go with the stored water option. u can get fast recovery cylinders....take about 15/20 mins, roughly.

if there is only 2 of u then consider a simpler/less space taken combi

....problem we have with neighbours condensing boiler ..
Why don't you say what the problem is? We might be able to suggest a solution.

Low frequency noise is the problem with uncooperative neighbour, now they are away on holiday we are trying to understand if they left the water on (we know their water time clock comes on at 5) -is there a fan that runs when the boiler is on ie with the timer but no demand as no one is there - if we can establish that it cannot make a noise in this status we can start searching for another source- its all about sleep deprivation . I was out beside the garage at 5.30 this morning and could not hear anything but my wife says she still hears it and is unconvinced

Thanks for all the input - not sure if they have a stored option or demand only - its a big house with a lot of money !! next to a poor house with not a lot of money and a sick wife !

Sponsored Links
mcbean said:
Low frequency noise is the problem with uncooperative neighbour, now they are away on holiday we are trying to understand if they left the water on (we know their water time clock comes on at 5) -is there a fan that runs when the boiler is on ie with the timer but no demand as no one is there - if we can establish that it cannot make a noise in this status we can start searching for another source- its all about sleep deprivation . I was out beside the garage at 5.30 this morning and could not hear anything but my wife says she still hears it and is unconvinced

Thanks for all the input - not sure if they have a stored option or demand only - its a big house with a lot of money !! next to a poor house with not a lot of money and a sick wife !

i think you and the wife or going through a bit of senile demensure
take the wife for a ear test with the doc and what the hell are you doing prowling around at 5.30 am. you know there is places for people like you
what distance is there flue from your property

they could have one of these instant combis. they have a small store of hot water in the ev and top up the water temp every time its decreased. so every 60 mins or so ? it would run for about 3 mins, is that what ur hearing, or it could simply be the ch on low.

if its a noise problem then let the council come and have a listen

The Council have been round - leant us a recorder and microphone - made 12 different 5 mins recordings mostly at night - no results - low frequency noise can travel straight through brick and can be difficult to record - we probably all hear some but can ignore it. Here its a quiet village and we are light sleepers so its the waking up that does the damage then you struggle to get back to sleep. We have tried earplugs, noise cancelling earphones , fan on in the room but this stuff is persistent. We are trying to settle it amicably but spme people are quite difficult !!

dont see know you can settle it, or if your nieghbour is doing anything wrong.

get ur hose done the flue then and the'll have to get it looked at anyway :evil: :evil: :evil:

JPC said:
get ur hose done the flue then and the'll have to get it looked at anyway :evil: :evil: :evil:

but if its a condesing boiler that wont do owt JPC it will just run out through the condensate waste pipe

An older fellow I worked with was complaing about low frequency hum from substation near his house.

Eventually turned out he had tinitus!!!

If your wife complains about something you cannot hear then either you are deaf or your wife is immagining it.

To prowl about at 0530 is a bit extreme isn't it? You could get arrested for prowling.

Tony

mcbean said:
The Council have been round - leant us a recorder and microphone - made 12 different 5 mins recordings mostly at night - no results - low frequency noise can travel straight through brick and can be difficult to record

That is rubbish - if the noise is there whether you can hear it or not - it can be measured. Did it measure the complete sound specrum or was it just a cheapo measuring an average reading? Assume when you say 'recorder' you mean proper test equipment and not a cassette recorder?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back