Connect 2nd Line back to origonal Line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

A few years ago we got a second telephone line installed from BT, we then cancelled the line as soon as broadband came into play, but we still have the wiring in place, i now want to connect this line to the main 1 we have, instead of running mroe wire, any idea on how this may work?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Where do the two lines enter the building? If they are next to each other all you need to do is take the extension that goes to the old second line and connect it to pins 2,3 & 5 of the 1st line you have.

Well what makes things complicated is that from the origonal drop cable the orange and white wires are run to a junction box, and all the wires to the existing socket then come out from this box and lead to the 3 sockets around the house, all of which happen to be master sockets, very old ones, in fact,

the green and black cables from the orgional drop cable then run to the junction box,, bypass it all and goes straight the the old second line socket.

Is running new cables an option? Looking at your other post if you have BB i would suggest starting again.

Sponsored Links
well, i dont seee the point in running a cable rite over an exisiting cable, the black and green wires in the drop line, what are they required for? by the looks of it, the second line was using those.

Without seeing it i haven't got a clue what wires are going where, if you are saying there is already a cable going to & from where you want then use the existing cable, all you need to do is connect 2 & 5 if you are using a master socket, if not then you may also need 3 depending on your phones.

Be aware though that if this is a BT cable(ie, before any master socket) then it is their property and you are not supposed to touch it.

ye funny thing with my house, the drop cable goes to a small box which has a small capaciter in it, then straight to a junction box, and then every socket in the house feed of the junction box, and every socket seems to be an old master socket, so i am unable to tell which 1 is BT's and BT wont tell me, and offered to send out an engineer to point out to me, but for the fee of £120-ish

Can you post some pics up of what you have? Sounds like the first box has a mastering pcb in it but then you wouldn't need master sockets everywhere(unless there aren't enough pairs??). I'd suggest fitting your own NTE5 and running extensions off this. Do you have BB?

This box is where the drop cable comes into, the orange and white cables are conneted to the wires which then feed to the junction box,

the green and balck i assume were the old 2nd line, and go stright to the 2nd line master socket via the cables it connects 2,

The junction box looks very messy but the ornage, brown, green and blue cables run of the the sockets around the house, the wires handing out of the left come from the cable that that conects this JB to the previous box,

hmm...yes we do have BB but with sky, and router plugs in of 1 of the extension points,

OK, what you ideally shoud do is fit a filtered faceplate, as your BB runs off an extension you will need a couple of items :-

1, replace junction with NTE5 as above
2, fit 6 way filtered faceplate :-http://www.bttorj45.com/BTNTE5ADSLfaceplate6way.html

Connect the extension wiring that goes to where your router is to the unfiltered terminals on that faceplate, at the other end fit one of these :-http://www.bttorj45.com/BTsocketmasterADSLfilteredwithRJ11.html

All other extensions can wire to the filtered connections so no need for seperate micro filters any more. You can either keep the master sockets you have or fit secondary faceplates, if you fit secondary faceplates you will need to connect a wire from terminal 3 on the filtered faceplate to terminal 3 on the secondary faceplate. http://www.bttorj45.com/BTsocketsecondary.html

ahh great sutff mate!,

so all that will save me have those silly little filters at each socket,

what is was thinking of doing in the meantime is to use the green spare wires from the junction box end of the 2nd line and connet that to the junction box and use those green wires at the master end to join it to the old line connection, im sure that will work rite?

its just like placing a new wire down, except im using the extra capacity in the origonal wire

sorry, it's been a long day, it's Friday & i have a headache:( So long as there is a pair of wires going to & from where you want then you can use the spare/old/etc pair. All you need to do is connect 2,5 & 3 at the one end to the same at the other. I'll almost guarantee fitting the above would improve your BB speed ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back