connecting a electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi am trying to connect my electric cooker up ive just had a new circuit plate fitted and have the wire ready that has a blue, bronze and brown wire is it that i connect them to the same colour i can see in wall and do they need to be touching please help me as i have just moved and cant afford the prices to get someone in thanks :LOL:

Sponsored Links
To be honest If you need to ask those questions I would suggest you may not be the right person to do the job.

Cooker circuits are a high risk circuit due to the high currents flowing in a domestic setting. Seen lots of cooker points burnt out due to incorrect connections as well as the odd fire.

Since there is no 'Bronze' colour in domestic UK wiring I would not advise you on what colours go where and I doubt another sparky would either.

Little tip

Being competent means you know and admit when you are not.

My guess is that the 'bronze' coloured wire is bare copper. This is the 'earth' wire and should be connected to the similar 'circuit protective conductor' at the plate. Bare earth wire should be covered with green-and-yellow striped sleeving. Please, get a competent person in. I don't understand, if you had a new 'plate' (cooker point?) fitted, why they didn't reconnect the cooker at the same time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back