Connecting bidet spray to mains pressure

Sponsored Links
This is not a bidet, it is a bidet hose. It is not designed to be stuck up your arse, up your wife's fanny or left dangling in the toilet.

Can someone explain the huge risk to public safety that this device represents, over say, a shower hose, an extendable sink tap hose or any other hose really.

I am finding it very difficult to imagine a turd leaping from your arse and battling its way into the potable water supply.

If you're a professional (judging from user name), you should know this already.

Shower hoses and the like are still supposed to maintain an air break too.

Either way sink and shower waste is not classed as category 5, so mechanical equivalents can and should be used.

It is no greater risk than a shower hose or extendable sink tap hose or any other hose when they are not fitted in accordance with the water regulations. The issue comes with the fact that as a bidet shower it will be designed to be used over a toilet pan which is a fluid category 5 risk. If the hose become submerged for any reason and there is a large drop in pressure in the system backflow is likely to occur and draw faecal matter into the cold water main. This is not a theoretical risk it has happened, people have become ill through neighbours with this sort of installation.

Sponsored Links
Well there is an air break isn't there? Or do you think that the users of a device designed to keep them fastidously clean just dump the hose in the toilet bowl after using it?

Well there is an air break isn't there? Or do you think that the users of a device designed to keep them fastidously clean just dump the hose in the toilet bowl after using it?

Of course not but they are talking about a real, if remote, risk.

Further to Dan's responses I have done some research and found that the fitting of a flexible over-the-rim bidet spray is actually notifiable under building regs and must be done by a Competent Person.

However, in the course of my research, I also discovered that the provider's supply of wholesome water (Cat 1) must be protected by a "suitable mechanical device" from contamination originating in the consumer's pipework. So under current regs, a properly connected residence with contaminated mains pipes shouldn't pose a risk to the neighbourhood supply but giving your own wife and kids e-coli isn't so good for domestic harmony! The regs are there for a reason. Imagine something like this happening in a hotel or hospital.

My sources were Southern Water and Veolia.

No but accidents happen. Most people don't deliberately drive there nice shiny cars into the back of the one in front but it happens.

The water regulations are there for a reason. It is to protect the water main from contamination and prevent wastage.

Can someone cite a verifiable source of an incidence of contamination resulting from the use of one of these over the rim appliances?

I am finding it hard to believe that the UK has the jump over countries where there are literally millions of these things fitted and are in constant use, admittedly not necessarily where mains potable water is available.

I didn't have the time to find case studies of where this has actually happened but the mechanism that can cause backflow where there is no means of preventing it appears to be well known.

Sudden loss of mains pressure causes a suction effect that can draw water into supply pipes from hoses and shower heads. It would appear that unless specifically designed to do so, the seal on these bidet sprays may not prevent backflow in these circumstances.

I did see a link to a study where this effect had led to a whole building being contaminated with Legionella from a single shower head.

Can someone cite a verifiable source of an incidence of contamination resulting from the use of one of these over the rim appliances?

I am finding it hard to believe that the UK has the jump over countries where there are literally millions of these things fitted and are in constant use, admittedly not necessarily where mains potable water is available.

Do you think they make the rules up for the sake of it?

And the countries you are thinking of hardly have the best quality drinking water I am sure.

http://www.wras.co.uk/directory/RIRNs.asp

Well, it would seem that the correct answer to the Op's question is to shorten the hose so that it cannot under any circumstances rest in the bowl. If the minimum separation is maintained there is no risk of contamination.

All I would say is good luck to using that in the middle of a UK winter :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back