Connecting the Outlet pipe to the gas meter

The installation is being done by the network appointed for this area. It includes everything except connecting the outlet pipe to the meter.

I am going back to them but before I do I would like to establish what I am talking about.

In trying to find out about this some have said that the new meter should be positioned near the existing outlet pipe and others have said it is an easy job to move the outlet pipe to near the boiler and proposed meter position which makes a better result.

Thanks
JamesEB

Sponsored Links
The new meter position will go were they deem to be the best place for them with least disruption and possible damage to other services .If its possible to get it close to your existing pipework then they will do this but its not there priority as its easier to run the outlet pipe than the pipe coming in from street

In this case coming from the street to any position around the outside of the house makes no difference. They have selected the meter position simply to be near the boiler.

This is a long way from the outlet pipe which is in an awkward position inside the house.

Others have said it is an easy job to move the outlet pipe position to the proposed meter position near the boiler (my only appliance) and which makes a better result to have them all in the same location.

Is it an easy job to move the outlet pipe position?

JamesEB

in that case it just a matter of connecting into the boiler supply seeing as that is close by and capping original meter outlet or disconnecting it completly as the new outlet pipe will be going direct to the boiler

Sponsored Links
Great. That is what I will ask them to do then.

They did not look at the existing outlet pipe position as connecting it was excluded from their process.

Presumably this is not too difficult for a GasSafe engineer to do if they won’t.

Thanks again

JamesEB

Last edited:
national grid do repipe and normally with to smaller pipework from my experience. Serviced a boiler 2 years running, second year gas meter had been moved with a new main installed and the boilers inlet pressure was 2mb lower than the year before.

in that case it just a matter of connecting into the boiler supply seeing as that is close by and capping original meter outlet or disconnecting it completly as the new outlet pipe will be going direct to the boiler

This is what they are going to do thanks but not without charge. There is no charge for the rest of the installation.

They say that the possible reason that National Grid hasn't charged for this when they do is that they are two of a number of companies allocated to the various areas of the country and they all have their own different policies.

Thanks for help

This is what they are going to do thanks but not without charge. There is no charge for the rest of the installation.

They say that the possible reason that National Grid hasn't charged for this when they do is that they are two of a number of companies allocated to the various areas of the country and they all have their own different policies.

Thanks for help

At what cost?

They haven't given me a cost and have now told me to get a Gas Safe private contractor.

It's not a big job. The meter is to be sited through the wall from the boiler but maybe not exactly so maybe a few feet away.

Thanks
JamesEB

I suspect it will depend upon the reason for the "safety" move. If,for example, there has been a porch or extension built over the service, then this is a safety issued caused by the householder, his agents or a previous occupant. Therefore not the fault of NG.

112 would be the one to point out the best method of getting a freebie. The success in this type of thing is often in not what you say, but to whom and how.

What is 112 please?

I am not getting very far with this.

The network will do the installation without charge but only do the work as far as the Outlet Pipe and leaving it capped.

They have written to say that the no charge safety reasons are that for long ago historical reasons there is no facility to turn off the gas supply at the meter in an emergency and the meter is on someone else's property some 150 metres away from the house.

Thanks for help.
JamesEB

It's being done by SGN for safety reasons. They are doing everything else but say they do not connect the outlet pipe to the meter and will leave it capped as above.

I would like a very rough idea of the cost. Hundreds?

Thanks
JamesEB
you live in Surrey and Scottish Gas Networks are moving your meter ???

Yes. SGN are the appointed network for Surrey.

Can you please answer this for me.

I suspect it will depend upon the reason for the "safety" move. If,for example, there has been a porch or extension built over the service, then this is a safety issued caused by the householder, his agents or a previous occupant. Therefore not the fault of NG.

112 would be the one to point out the best method of getting a freebie. The success in this type of thing is often in not what you say, but to whom and how.

What is 112 please?

I am not getting very far with this.
The network will do the installation without charge but only do the work as far as the Outlet Pipe and leaving it capped.
They have written to say that the no charge safety reasons are that for long ago historical reasons there is no facility to turn off the gas supply at the meter in an emergency and the meter is on someone else's property some 150 metres away from the house.
Thanks for help.
JamesEB

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back