Connecting the Outlet pipe to the gas meter

No I am a 76 years old pensioner and having a great deal of difficulty and need a little help.

It would help to know if National Grid would charge for my safety reasons.

JamesEB

Sponsored Links
Yes so if National Grid would not charge for it I will pursue it but if they do then I will not.

No I am a 76 years old pensioner and having a great deal of difficulty and need a little help.

It would help to know if National Grid would charge for my safety reasons.

JamesEB

Thanks all for help
JamesEB

Sponsored Links
Jesus Christ he gave you the answer in the quote below. Fook me sideways.

Still same answer, i can only say that NG would do it not charge if they were doing it for safety reasons that was not down to the present customer and the customer had not requested iT
you could phone ofgem and ask them what should be done and what should be charged by your area

Dear James,

this must all be rather confusing, near similar names, some firms that charge and others that don't!

But regardless, I think that you are going to need someone gas registered for connecting the meter to your boiler.

If I were quoting for a new connection in my local area then my quote would be along the following lines.

Assessment/quotation £84

New run of 22 mm copper pipe @ £12 per meter.

Drilling/sleeving hole in cavity wall £36

So hardly anything to get very excited about!

At least not in my view.

Tony

Tony, how much is the bus fare from London to Surrey? and are you allowed to carry lengths of 22mm copper on a bus?

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Andy

Nice to get £84 to quote only.

If it wasn't Tony, I would have said that is a bit random.

Cheers Gasguru it is actually SSE that owns both
Not quite.

Scotia Gas Networks is 50% owned by a Nova Scotia Pension investment company (hence the name), and 50% by SSE. SSE is employed by SGN to perform certain management and operational tasks. The Southern Gas and Scotland Gas names seen on vans were just trade names used by SGN to make people in its areas of operation think it was a local company.

The SGN was a new brand name to cover the two SSEs as described on the web site that I was looking at.

Jesus Christ he gave you the answer in the quote below. Fook me sideways.

Not so that was a reply about general safety reasons.

I said it would help for a reply on if National Grid would charge for my safety reasons.

I am sorry that I am not as clever a those on here and that is why I am so grateful for your help.

JamesEB

What is 112 please?

I am not getting very far with this.

The network will do the installation without charge but only do the work as far as the Outlet Pipe and leaving it capped.

They have written to say that the no charge safety reasons are that for long ago historical reasons there is no facility to turn off the gas supply at the meter in an emergency and the meter is on someone else's property some 150 metres away from the house.

Thanks for help.
JamesEB
Your meter is 150 m away from the house, what size pipe is it ??

Thanks but I have no idea.

They have said the records are very scant as it was many years ago.

The job is to do a completely new supply.

JamesEB

SGN are going to do all of the job including connecting the outlet pipe to the meter and all at no charge.

Thanks everybody for helping me understand all this.

Kindest regards
JamesEB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back