Conservatory roof nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After some advice please! I’ve recently bought my first home which came with a lovely 30+year old conservatory. The roof is made of polycarb which has holes in it and leaking water. All the seals have gone. I’ve had a few people come to look at it first was trying to sell me a lightweight tiled roof at 6k which is well out of my budget due to other house improvements I’ve had to do. I’ve tried to go down the route of just replacing the poly carb with new stuff but no one seems to want to touch it. Can someone please tell me the best way around this as I feel like I’m getting no we’re with it. I work for a door company so can get white pvc panels cheaply would this work? Or should I stick with poly carb and Just keep trying to find someone that will do it. The last person said about it could be a nightmare job as the white bars are so old they might not come off in one piece. Please help! Photos attached

Attachments

• IMG_4549.jpeg
    IMG_4549.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4548.jpeg
    IMG_4548.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4547.jpeg
    IMG_4547.jpeg
    476 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4546.jpeg
    IMG_4546.jpeg
    512.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4544.jpeg
    IMG_4544.jpeg
    518.6 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
I’ve tried to go down the route of just replacing the poly carb with new stuff but no one seems to want to touch it
The reality is, connies are low end buildings and have a shelf life. No doubt you could spend £££'s making it water-tight and pretty. But at what cost? Those choosing to work on an old connie are also taking the risk that comes with it. No one wants to be responsible for dodgy seals, brittle beads and the inevitable customer backlash, when there are disputed marks or scratches on the UPVC etc.

It's probably end of life, and the gaskets and replacement bars may not even be in production now.

The people who do this sort of work like new stuff, and not messing about.

If it's a goer, I'd suggest that you have some agreement with whoever that they do best endeavours and you won't hold them responsible for anything that breaks.

But do consider a replacement, roof and frames if need be. Cover the roof with Flashband, silicone or Acrylpol if need be until you've saved up.

It's probably end of life, and the gaskets and replacement bars may not even be in production now.

If it's a goer, I'd suggest that you have some agreement with whoever that they do best endeavours and you won't hold them responsible for anything that breaks.

But do consider a replacement, roof and frames if need be. Cover the roof with Flashband, silicone or Acrylpol if need be until you've saved up.

Sponsored Links

Thanks for your reply. Do you think I should try using white pvc flat panels for the roof or is that a no go? How much do you think I’d be looking at for a new conservatory? I’m happy to do a patch up job for now I’m just worried it’s going to be a constant headache every couple of months when it starts leaking again.

Thanks for your reply. Do you think I should try using white pvc flat panels for the roof or is that a no go? How much do you think I’d be looking at for a new conservatory? I’m happy to do a patch up job for now I’m just worried it’s going to be a constant headache every couple of months when it starts leaking again.
Patch it and live with it through the seasons, then form an opinion. Connies are so '90s. We are on our FOURTH connie knock down/re-build (as an extension), of the year. They just don't perform all that well in the UK, especially with heating costs presently.

Patch it and live with it through the seasons, then form an opinion. Connies are so '90s. We are on our FOURTH connie knock down/re-build (as an extension), of the year. They just don't perform all that well in the UK, especially with heating costs presently.
I absolutely hate it it’s brings me so much anxiety! Wish I had the money to just knock it down and do an extention. It’s just costly getting someone to even patch it up most of them don’t want to go near it though. One fella said he could use edge banding on it don’t know if that would be any good.

The thing with plastic sheets is that they will flex a lot more than twin wall.

Do a nice patch job, and it will last many years. Believe me, I am the Patch Meister. :oops:

You might be able to stop or at least reduce the leaks by sealing up the capping bars

or you could try prising one of the bars off and seeing if its possible to get replacement rubbers or replacement capping bars -but bear in mind a new set of capping bars is going to set you back a few hundred £

Having taken plenty of these polycarbonate roofs off and replaced with glass, I know from experience they are often badly cut and badly fitted -those triangular bits around the hipped end tend to creep down over time and the poly ends up missing the seals

Bear in mind poly is a bit old hat -its very noisy in rain. Hence why new conservatories are almost always glass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back