Conservatory Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning,

I am seeking honest advice regarding a project I would like to do to a property that I have recently purchased however, after speaking to various companies and builders have received such conflicting information. The project is a kitchen/diner with patio leading to a Victorian Hip Back conservatory that is 4.8x3.8m. I would like to remove the wall between the kitchen and conservatory to make an open plan space (the wall is the external wall of the property and so is load bearing). I have been informed everything from it can't be done to it can be done with a glass roof or a conservaroof, decra or metrotiles. The room would become the kitchen/diner and family area and so needs to be suitable for all year use unlike a standard conservatory as it is now. I would like to keep as much light as possible so the glass roof sounds favourable and the company told me that it is to building regs and is as energy efficient as a conservaroof however, I am concerned with this as a glass roof is not insulated? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If you effectivley have no wall between the conservatory-part and the rest of the house, then that would normally be contrary to Part L and disallowed.

It would be classed as a highly-glazed extension, but to prove compliance with Part L, you would need to get 'whole house' SAP calculations done and provide extra insulation/improved fittings elsewhere to compensate, = £££.

Thanks Tony. Would you know if the same applies even if I put a conservaroof on the conservatory?

For the roof to comply, it would need to have a U-value of 0.18 or better.
Even so, you might have problems with excessive glazing to the walls, and may still have to provide calcs for overall heat loss.
Have a word with your local building inspector.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back