constant air pockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bog standard indirect gravity and pump fed system with no 3 port or motorised valve i:e c.h has priority.

I'm constantly getting air locks which stop the water in the cylinder from heating. so no domestic hot water.

I've taken air locks out of the nearest and furthest rad pipes (8mm) and from the boiler return to the cylinder. I've also vented the rad in the same room as the cylinder about once a month and let about a pint of water in but theres no sign of a leak at the rad or under the floor but they keep coming back.

The feed gets red hot in seconds and the return is less than tepid but when i crack the nut on the T i get water not air its doing my head in im sick of draining and refilling it.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
sorry, my fault im not a good explainer, when i said no domestic hot water i meant there is water its just not heating, it takes 4 hours with the gas on full bore to get it anywhere near hot enough for a bath etc, yes the f&e tanks are full

Is the f+e pipe blocked?sounds like your system may be low on water

Sponsored Links
Can you identify the pipe going into the cylinder coil?

When the boiler is on, this pipe should be very hot. Is it?

Do you have any motorised valves?

thanks guys i've sorted it. i cracked the return T but all i got was water because it was fed from the loft then i occured to me that the lock might be in the coil rather than the pipes so i cracked the feed T (blindingly obvious) im an idiot sometimes and the head of water pushed the lock out 30 mins later extremely hot water, im so happy. thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back