Consumer unit height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a bit of a disagreement :) on my hands.........

I've been asked to help out on a new build project (4 bed detatched), the spark running the job has detailed that the CU will be mounted 6" below the ceiling height in the internal garage.......

I thought that CU's in new builds are supposed to be mounted at 1.2m (Part M 4.30 sec C) ......or do I start back pedelling and nodding agreement now :LOL:

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, it is maximum of 1200mm to the top of the CU.

How would a wheelchair user reset a tripped MCB if it were installed at ceiling height? ;)

Do you class an MCB (or the main switch for that matter) in a consumer unit as a wall mounted switch?:cool:

Sponsored Links
I see where you're coming from though.
One thing that always sticks in my mind when topics of this nature arise is many new houses have consumer units located at ceiling height in the hallway with all switches and sockets being between 450mm and 1200mm.

Bugger :LOL: Close but no cigar then :LOL: :LOL:

so if I follow correctly if it was installed in the hallway etc then the 1.2m would be right ?

Yes, round here, over kitchen back door is common on smallish new builds.

As far as I am aware, unless a dwelling is specifically designed for disabled people, there is no need for strict compliance...

That's Hager who have nothing at all to do with building regulations.
You need to take information directly from Part M.

Surely the only person who could give a definitive answer to this would be the OPs BCO man, seeing as he will be the man signing the job off as compliant with all buildings regs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back