Consumer Unit - Identity

Split boards were very common.

Dual boards were not.

You know what I meant....
You obviously don't know what I meant.

Split board - switch (or 100mA Type-S) incomer, with 1 RCD downstream of that. Very common before the 17th.

Dual board - switch incomer, two completely separate sections each with an RCD, neither RCD downstream of the other. Not very common before the 17th.

Got you......thanks

Sponsored Links
From the photo yours looks like a dual board - is either RCD downstream of the other?

From the photo yours looks like a dual board - is either RCD downstream of the other?

I havn't looked inside as its my sons house not mine, just noticed the dodgy cover. Will look inside when I replace the cover.

Both RCDs are rated at 30mA, where would the disccrimination be if one is downstream of the other.

I have just been to a George Wimpey housing estate in Glossop today:

The board is marked up as being installed in 2005. Yes, it's 17th edition!

WimpeyBoard.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like Wimpey was ahead of the game. Check out this article from Hager Oh click me, big boy!
especially the para later on that states

"'We have been arguing for greater RCD protection of circuits for years and developed solutions for customers, such as Taylor Wimpey, well before the 17th edition was drafted"

There's other stories to support that Hager has been providing full RCD protection for Wimpey (a la 17th ed) for more than 4 years.
Here's another more, more!

Thanks TTC!

I was thinking they must have got ahead of the game somehow, now I know that they had Hager on board (scuse pun), hence the screen-printed CU lids, it makes sense now.

Still not sure that CU I photo'd complies, though. Setting aside the dual RCD set-up for a moment, all the lights & smokes are on one side & the skts on the other. I'd be tempted to mix it up a bit, wouldn't you?

Mind you, I can see what they were aiming at - trying to keep the smokes & sockets separate.

all the lights & smokes are on one side & the skts on the other. I'd be tempted to mix it up a bit, wouldn't you?

In these (17th :rolleyes: ) enlightened days then we do mix them up, but 4 years ago those boards would have been odd-balls for Wimpey being installed by sparks who were used to 16th edition split loaders = sockets on one side and lights etc on the other. QED!

Was it their confusion that made their hands tremble when they stuck the labels on the CU?

Excitement at being an pioneer, maybe ;)

Pity he couldn't be bothered to remove the "Time Delayed" bit from the RCD label.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back