Cooker and shower on same circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a good one...........

Went to look at a friends new place on Friday which is basically a house which has been converted to 2 flats - she has bought the top floor.

It has the cheapeat re-wire, supposedly done 4 years ago, and old consumer unit used, wall plates etc.

Anyway she wanted to see if any of it could be tidyed up as there is trunking everywhere.

Then I noticed that there was no MCB for the cooker and the cooker was certainlly an electric one. On closer inspection - taking the cover off the CU - I found 2 6mm T&E cables entering the 32A MCB for the 7.5kW shower!!!

I'm not sure what the rating of the cooker is as it's built in but I think I may seperate the circuits......

The strange thing is that there are spare ways in the CU so why oh why did they not put a seperate MCB in?

Also in the kitchen there are no switched FCU's for the fridge etc at counter top level but there are unswitched sockets behind the white goods which are in the ring main

Sponsored Links
DJdunky, I went to a house where the lady had been told not to operate the cooker at the same time as the shower. The CU revealed only one 6mm cable in the 3036 supplying the cooker and some numpty had JB'd the cable to run the shower.

Sponsored Links
Sadly it's an all too common practice.

I cut this one off a couple of weeks ago.

The 2x 6.0mm² cables wouldn't fit in the same terminal so they had trimmed a few strands off each wire :rolleyes:

IMGP2063.jpg

BurntOutWylexBoard.jpg

This one was feeding:

1. An 8.5kW shower.

2. A 9.6kW shower.

Off 6milli...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back