Cutting center out of a tile ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you cut a rectangle or square out of the centre of a tile so you

can put a smaller tile inside it ???

Sponsored Links
I would imagine with great difficulty..If it were for only a few tiles I think I would try chain drilling, & then a file.

You can use a rotozip cutter, or a dremel with the appropriate bit. You may need to do it in stages though.

Sponsored Links
bigdek said:
How do you cut a rectangle or square out of the centre of a tile so you

can put a smaller tile inside it ???
Well there's no harm in trying, how big is the outer and inner tile you want to do ? I think anything is possible but will need a lot of patient and I think the vibration may give problem to the tile.

it can be done in a number of ways, but it can take several attempts and be costly! If its a reasonable sized hole, drill the corners of the square and score between them. Then using a reasonable sized drill or tile cutter bit start to nibble out the centre. if there is sufficent room at the end it can be tidied up with pincers. I have managed to do it but very difficult. Another method is a small angle grinder to cut out the square, or you can lower it down onto a ile cutting saw very slowly and bring the blade up through as long as its one of the slow saws that is!

Thermo

If I need to cut a rectangle for a shaver socket I take the guard off my diamond cutter and VERY carfully lower the tile onto the blade until it breaks through then proceed as normal, stopping at the line, repeat 4 times. This would be OK for one or two inset tiles but a lot of work if there ar a lot to do.

Safety Note - only try this method if you know what you are doing as it can be very dangerous to use one of these cutters without guard and riving knife.

It is easier to select a range of tiles that come with the cutout already in them like these which take a 50x50 glass tile

PICT0059.jpg

Jason

beautiful bathroom, but

eeuuw! what's that grotesque thing in the mirror? looks like its holding a camera... :LOL:

What happened to those ultasonic tile cutting pens. My brother had a prototype (before he emigrated to Oz back in the late 80s). I'd have expected them to be in every DIY store by now. They were ideal for cutting curves and difficult checkouts. Did they never get into commercial production?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back