Danfoss RAS-C2 TRV's radiator value adjustment

1. This seems to me that the valve may not be installed correctly or possibly it is not working at the right/expected temperature?2. Can a radiator work correctly with the hot water coming in from the wrong end first???

I am looking at the diagrams on the link provided earlier when I ask question 2 above.
http://heating.danfoss.com/PCMPDF/013R9355_RAS_C2_Keymark_VISXM302_.pdf
  1. If it is the Danfoss RAS-C2, then yes it is can go on either end - as shown in the link's diagrams. Setting the flow adjuster may help.
  2. There is no right and wrong end on a typical radiator (there are exceptions, e.g some vertical designer rads). All the TRV does is control the flow through the radiator.
Have you tried swapping the TRV head for another one?

Hi, as mentioned early, I cannot get down to do anything like this, I cannot even plug a mains plug in at standard low level.

Once I know what is wrong and how we can get round it, it seems we are getting much closer now. I can get heating engineer/plumber service the boiler and ask him to check the radiator for us.

Many thanks for your help and information provided.

Sponsored Links
Putting your room stat in the conservatory would overcome most of your problems.

A wired stat can operate at over 100m so distance is not going to be a big problem.

Alternately you could use a wireless stat.

Or you could use a wireless programmable stat wired in parallel with the existing hall one.

Then you could set it at more appropriate times so that its not heated when heat is not required.

I never can understand why some people want to heat a conservatory all year round. I don't really believe that many people occupy them after dark when they look like fish in a goldfish bowl !

How would a programmable wireless room stat work, wired in parallel?

Say both room stats were set to 20 degrees C. Would it be that whichever switched the heating on first it would come on. Which would dictate the switching off?

Hello again, I am just wondering about the programmable wireless room stats.

Would the programmable room stat fight against the radiator TRV?

I am at present looking at a single programmable wireless room stat system

http://w3.siemens.co.uk/buildingtechnologies/uk/en/building-automation/residential-controls/documentation/Documents/RDJ10RF Data Sheet.pdf

and a Multi Room Programmable Wireless stat system

Computherm Q8RF Wireless Programmable Thermostat Room Stat

http://thermostats4u.co.uk/products/computherm-q8rf

There is a download link at the bottom of the page for technical details

This is all new to me! Comments welcome.

Last edited:
The first one to come on would dictate the coming on.

The last one to go off would dictate when the boiler goes off.

That would enable to boiler to be operating regardless of which area needs heat. The TRVs would only allow heat to where you need it based on your chosen TRV settings.

Why don't you edit the heading to correct the TRV model now that you have decided they are not TRV4s.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hello again, I am just wondering about the programmable wireless room stats.

Would the programmable room stat fight against the radiator TRV?

I am at present looking at a single programmable wireless room stat system

http://w3.siemens.co.uk/buildingtechnologies/uk/en/building-automation/residential-controls/documentation/Documents/RDJ10RF Data Sheet.pdf

and a multi room programmable wireless stat system

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0686/7173/files/Q8RF.pdf

This is all new to me! Comments welcome.

Having had time to think about the above a little more, it appears to me... (maybe, possibly, should be, could be, Ermmm another learning curve (n))

The second option may be the best, it would provide me with 1 receiver, 2 room stats, as 1 system. Creating 2 zones, which would in effect mean the conservatory would be 1 zone, the bungalow the other zone. Therefore complying with Building Regs.

Careful position of the wireless room stat in the conservatory would be important, to avoid that room getting warmer than the bungalow and switching off the system (sun light), which I guess could happen occasionally if I had only 1 room stat. By having the two zones on the same system seems it could be £70 well spent.

Comments welcome.

I cannot view the second option which you have made a link.

But to do what you need it would have to operate as In described above.

Many wireless stats like the Drayton series send a "change" signal THREE times to the receiver.

So if two stats only operated one receiver then normally it would respond to the first one to call for heat and that would be fine.

But the first one to be satisfied would turn the boiler off while the second was still calling for heat.

So be warned but your device may not operate that way.

I always test links that I post.

Tony

The second option may be the best, it would provide me with 1 receiver, 2 room stats, as 1 system. Creating 2 zones, which would in effect mean the conservatory would be 1 zone, the bungalow the other zone. Therefore complying with Building Regs.
Sorry to disappoint you, but that arrangement would not satisfy Building Regs. They require the conservatory to be on a separate circuit from the rest of the house, so you can heat the house without heating the conservatory and vice-versa. All you are doing is having two thermostats to control one circuit - saves you moving the thermostat from one room to another.

I cannot view the second option which you have made a link.

But to do what you need it would have to operate as In described above.

Many wireless stats like the Drayton series send a "change" signal THREE times to the receiver.

So if two stats only operated one receiver then normally it would respond to the first one to call for heat and that would be fine.

But the first one to be satisfied would turn the boiler off while the second was still calling for heat.

So be warned but your device may not operate that way.

I always test links that I post.

Tony

Multi Room Programmable Wireless stat system

Computherm Q8RF Wireless Programmable Thermostat Room Stat

http://thermostats4u.co.uk/products/computherm-q8rf

There is a download link at the bottom of the page for technical details

Sorry to disappoint you, but that arrangement would not satisfy Building Regs. They require the conservatory to be on a separate circuit from the rest of the house, so you can heat the house without heating the conservatory and vice-versa. All you are doing is having two thermostats to control one circuit - saves you moving the thermostat from one room to another.

The wireless room stats stated above allow any building to be split into zones, up to 4 zones.

They are not just standard room stats, the system allows full control for each zone independently, total room/zone control, up to five changes in temperature per day, they take the place of the thermostatic valve. They can be used for for heating or air-conditioning.

The wireless room stats stated above allow any building to be split into zones, up to 4 zones.

They are not just standard room stats, the system allows full control for each zone independently, total room/zone control, up to five changes in temperature per day, they take the place of the thermostatic valve. They can be used for for heating or air-conditioning.
The system in the link you gave controls the zones via a separate motorized valve for each zone - read the General Description. The system has to be piped in such a way that each zone can be run independently of other zones. Without a major re-piping this will not be possible on your system.

They do not replace TRVs.

Looking further and considering the Computherm wireless system I have received the following reply to an email...

If your conservatory on the same ring pipework you can easily separate that radiator with a thermal actuator like this:
http://www.salus-tech.com/products/actuators/_c1_99_ta30ar230/
The only weakness of this installation you have to pull a wire from the radiator to the Thermostat's receiver, and if the conservatory thermostat switches your boiler still heats the whole house, but if your hall thermostat switches it won't heat the conservatory.

Has anyone any experience of these?

It seems to me at this stage, one wireless room stat in the conservatory would be the simplest method, as that room would cool first and switch the whole system on. TRV's on every radiator except the bathroom towel rail rad would mean heat will only be provided to each rad if the TRV allows it subject to room temperature.

Comments welcome.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back