Deletion of pointless replies! (now locked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it is NOT untrue and you cannot get your head round this fact.
Yes, it is. 'Tis you who cannot get your head around the fact - that it is just a word which means something and that is what they do.

Referring to SMPTs as "electronic transformers is wrong".
No, it isn't.
They don't conform to any transformer specs.
Yes, they do. They conform to the main one. They transform voltage.
They don't transform AC without changing the frequency.
So, you agree that they transform voltage. What does that make them, then?
They cannot be reversed and work.
No matter.

Sponsored Links
What about IEC 61558-2-16 "Safety of transformers, reactors, power supply units and similar products for supply voltages up to 1 100 V - Part 2-16: Particular requirements and tests for switch mode power supply units and transformers for switch mode power supply units" ?

What about IEC 61558-2-16 "Safety of transformers, reactors, power supply units and similar products for supply voltages up to 1 100 V - Part 2-16: Particular requirements and tests for switch mode power supply units and transformers for switch mode power supply units" ?
I'm not sure that proves anything. It's not an exclusive "transformer Standard" such as EFLI was presumably eluding to - "transformers" and "power supply units" are just two in the list of things in it's title. For example, I think we could probably agree that "transformers" and "reactors" are not the same thing, even though they both exist in that list.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, it is. 'Tis you who cannot get your head around the fact - that it is just a word which means something and that is what they do.

No, it isn't.

Yes, they do. They conform to the main one. They transform voltage.

So, you agree that they transform voltage. What does that make them, then?

No matter.

Whatever you say they are NOT what an electrical engineer understands as transformers.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure that proves anything. It's not an exclusive "transformer Standard" such as EFLI was presumably eluding to - "transformers" and "power supply units" are just two in the list of things in it's title. For example, I think we could probably agree that "transformers" and "reactors" are not the same thing, even though they both exist in that list.
Yes, but the generic list that you refer to is the overall title of 61558. Look at the title of the specific Part: "Particular requirements and tests for switch mode power supply units and transformers for switch mode power supply units" (my emphasis). Doesn't that make it clear that switch mode power supply units are included in the general standard for transformers?

An extract from the Scope: "switch mode power supply units with a maximum output voltage not exceeding 1 000 V a.c. or 1 414 V ripple-free d.c. for use with household and other consumer products".

Yes, but the generic list that you refer to is the overall title of 61558. Look at the title of the specific Part: "Particular requirements and tests for switch mode power supply units and transformers for switch mode power supply units" (my emphasis). Doesn't that make it clear that switch mode power supply units are included in the general standard for transformers?
(my red emphasis added) I think know what winston would probably say - that it 'makes it clear' that switched mode power supplies contain transformer(s) as one of their (many) internal components!

Kind Regards, John

They don't have enough staff …… :LOL: sorry, that was a reply to the original post before it was TRANSFORMED :cautious:into something else less interesting ! If that's possible:)

DS

Last edited:
An extract from the Scope: "switch mode power supply units with a maximum output voltage not exceeding 1 000 V a.c. or 1 414 V ripple-free d.c. for use with household and other consumer products".
Fair enough - but I don't see that adds anything to the argument that they are "transformers", does it?

Kind Regards, John

Because it is NOT untrue and you cannot get your head round this fact.
You are deranged, and in such denial of obvious truths that one might be forgiven for thinking that you are knowingly and deliberately saying things which you know to be untrue.

Referring to SMPTs as "electronic transformers is wrong".
No it isn't - it is perfectly correct, because that is what some of them are called. Do I need to post more photos to show you the truth of what I say, and the falsity of what you say? What's the name for someone who deliberately says things which he knows are untrue?

They transform a voltage from one nature to another, ergo they are "transformers". They do so electronically, not inductively, ergo they are "electronic transformers".

They don't transform AC without changing the frequency.
They don't have to. There is no definition which says that they do. If you continue to claim that there is then you are someone who is deliberately saying things which he knows are untrue.

They cannot be reversed and work.
They don't have to. There is no definition which says that they do. If you continue to claim that there is then you are someone who is deliberately saying things which he knows are untrue.

You remind me of Risteard - you so hate the reality of something, and so wish that it were other than what it actually is, that you think denying the reality, and knowingly uttering falsehoods will change the reality. It won't. It will just make you someone who is deliberately saying things which he knows are untrue.

Whatever you say they are NOT what an electrical engineer understands as transformers.
They are ELECTRONIC transformers.

Stop removing half of their name and then complaining that the remaining half is now incorrect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back