Dipping toe into painting

Rattle cans are thinned paint. It should look a bit like those. Although I am relying on imagination just now.
I'm amazed that you think that you can deviate from what spraygun and paint manufacturers have spent huge amounts of money and time developing just to reduce the size of the compressor. Don't you think that if it were that easy, all of the bodyshops across the world would have worked it out? Trust me, when it comes to saving money, back street bodyshops have already tried it!

Sponsored Links
I'm amazed that you think that you can deviate from what spraygun and paint manufacturers have spent huge amounts of money and time developing just to reduce the size of the compressor. Don't you think that if it were that easy, all of the bodyshops across the world would have worked it out? Trust me, when it comes to saving money, back street bodyshops have already tried it!
Do you have a video of anyone trying? Nope. The reason they don't even try is because the time cost to them is too much. A DIYer doesn't suffer the same, at least this DIYer doesn't.

Why would manufacturers reduce compressor size? Bigger ones produce more profit.

I never said my approach will succeed. Nor did I say it will not succeed. There is only one way to find out. Deep down, all the posters in this thread desperately want this to succeed. My chances are reasonable. Rattle cans peak at 100 psi. The compressor I am receiving tomorrow peaks at 115 psi.

Sponsored Links
I am very happy, proud even, that you could not agree with anything I said.

I would hate to be agreeing with you about anything
I said nothing about agreeing or disagreeing, just nothing impressive. You do what you are fed, and fall into traps as you are supposed to.

Do you have a video of anyone trying? Nope. The reason they don't even try is because the time cost to them is too much. A DIYer doesn't suffer the same, at least this DIYer doesn't
I’ve tried.

It’s seriously annoying having a compressor that runs out of air.

My chances are reasonable
Have you ever done any spraying?

The compressor I am receiving tomorrow peaks at 115 psi
paint spraying needs volume not pressure

An HVLP gun only needs about 26 psi

A conventional gravity gun only needs about 40 - 50 psi

I’ve tried.

It’s seriously annoying having a compressor that runs out of air.
Annoying doesn't make it impossible. If you cut back on your expectations, maybe you won't be annoyed. I am OK spending weeks doing a panel, if it's worth doing. I have a couple of panels that are worth doing.

I am not convinced you have explored all options in paint thinning and paint restriction. Thinner paint is easier to atomise, less paint is easier to atomise, etc.

Have you ever done any spraying?
Yes, I rattle canned on occasions. But, I never liked the expense because they didn't allow mistakes.

paint spraying needs volume
LVLP disagrees.

An HVLP gun only needs about 26 psi

A conventional gravity gun only needs about 40 - 50 psi
LVLP needs 10 psi. That means my chance of replicating the spray of a rattle can is good.

I am OK spending weeks doing a panel, if it's worth doing.
IMG_3367.gif

Best advice (which you will ignore anyway) is to not bother starting then.
I started and so will finish. My first project is to clear coat a couple of ebay badges. Last time, rattle coating of china badge lasted 4 years, out performing the supposed dealer badge off amazon, which lasted 2. This time I will do 10 coats. Next time I will use 2k. The communists are coming down hard on the badge sellers and I can no longer get china badges. Those f*ers got paid off by the capitalists.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back