Dishwasher causing cloudy/misty glassware

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there reposting this with a different heading as prior post may not have been clear on what I referred to at 'etching'

Basically glassware becomes cloudy/misty after regular washing in the dishwasher. The model is a Smeg fully integrated so not a cheap brand! We have tried increasing/decreasing the flow of rinse aid as recommended by the supplier, and we have tried altering the 'hardness' setting on the machine but nothing seems to be working. We do live in a hard water area (Surrey) but the odd thing is our friends just down the road don't have the same issue and they have had both a cheap and mid-range dishwasher so I am not convinced it's the machine that is faulty - but I could be wrong!

Any advice/tips appreciated

Sponsored Links
"They all do that sir"

Some tablets are worse than others.

Expensive glassware can be more delicate.

Have you put salt in?

The water hardness setting just regulates the amount of salt used. If there is no salt in the base of the unit, you will get what you describe.

I live in London and have never used rinse aid

Some types of glass can “absorb” moisture as it gets older. Look in secondhand shops at old glass for examples. It affected my usual brandy glass in the same way.

I now wash delicate glass by hand to avoid the problem.

Sponsored Links
In "which" tests, they measure "Preventing filming and cloudiness"

Good were Fairy Platinum (also the best cleaner)

Also Sainsbury's Ultimate All in One Dishwasher Tablets and Morrixons The Best (not such good cleaners)

I can't change the layout of the table to copy it

I use "Aldi Magnum Original All in 1 Dishwasher Tablets" which are best value and very good for cleaning, but not so good for filming and cloudiness

Lidl all in 1 scored very well last time, but not tested this year as they are being reformulated.

Last edited:
Some types of glass can “absorb” moisture as it gets older. Look in secondhand shops at old glass for examples. It affected my usual brandy glass in the same way.

I now wash delicate glass by hand to avoid the problem.

Yes, I have "kitchen tumblers" for the machine, and "nice" for handwash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back