DIY installation of a gas central heating system

Tony, did they really teach you that boiler emissions cause depletion of the ozone layer on your energy efficiency course? Just as well I haven't done it then.

CO2 emissions are believed to be causing global warming, which is quite a distinct issue from ozone layer depletion, which is caused principally by emissions of CFCs and methane (I think).

Of course you're right to point out that electricity generation is so inefficient. Claims by the manufacturers of electric boilers of efficiencies of nearly 100% are really misleading and should not be allowed.

Sponsored Links
Gas central heating would help sell ur property better than electric.Weigh up all ur options carefully.

PaulAH said:
For instance my electric aga...

Oh my God. From someone who's trying to save the planet?

Watch the next episode of Desperate Househusbands.

Wrong season, chestnuts are usually about nearer Christmas.

And what's all this about saving the planet? Please discuss with all those who are sticking in UPVC double glazing. UPVC - bad, double glazing - bad. If you want to save the planet, turn your heating down, put on a jumper, why did you buy a computer?, work near your home so you can walk or cycle, don't go on low cost flights for holidays

agile said:
And many of the people here seem to have forgotten what they learnt on the energy efficiency course!

Simply, burning gas at 90% efficiency causes far less ozone layer depletion that you using electricity which is only 33% efficient use of fossil fuel.

The spoutings of the official energy efficiency lobby is one rule for them and another rule for the rest of us. F1 racing uses loads of fuel to no point. It's not only the racing cars but all the air flights, and ancilliary transport that needs to be counted. And the fat Prescott, arch spouter, rejected an offer of a Prius in favour of his fat Jag.

I may have an electric Aga, but it is heated on overnight electricity, this helps take the edge of the load fluctuations for the generators. If it was not some small benefit, the generating companies wouldn't reduce the price so much.

Actually I'd be surprised if generation was anywhere near as good as 33% efficient. But it has naff all to do with ozone depletion, that's another one for low cost flights to answer for and aresoles or is it aerosoles?

Think about the future of the planet!!!

OK, predictions are variable for oil supply, but for most of the useful bits such as helium, copper and iron, the supply at current and predicted use rates, will last about 50 years. What's the point of worrying? There WILL be some catastrophy that makes everything else seem insignificant. The "planet" will survive as it has done up to now, it's the greedy, selfish human race that will get a wake up call.

Now, I must get my patio heater cleaned up :evil:

double glazing - bad

Er... please explain, Oilman

why did you buy a computer?, work near your home so you can walk or cycle,

Bit of a contradiction there. I do work from home quite a lot - thanks entirely to the computer. One large company I deal with, a bunch of technosaurs, do not think computers are necessary. So any conversation involving more than a dozen words invariably requires a "meeting", which in turn involves a gaggle of suits climbing into their Vectras at 6am and grinding round the M25 to finish the sentence. Poor sodds.

Now, I must get my patio heater cleaned up

Kids stuff. I remember reading that Liberace, the high-camp pianist, had a private wood with radiant electric heaters fitted in every tree so his guests could take a walk in the evening without getting chilly.

Sponsored Links
PaulAH said:
double glazing - bad

Er... please explain, Oilman

The heat lost through the glass for most houses is a small proportion of the total, and energy has to be used to make the glass, coupled with the need for frequent replacement as the hermetic seals break down AND the lack of air flow round the frames now they're all sealed up, leading to inadequate ventilation as everybody has been brainwashed to believe draughts are bad.

For low energy demand, our single glased frames are 130 years old, not much energy expended on replacements there.

In the case of some insulation products it's questionable if there is ever a net energy return.

And why should I have a guilty consience? Some of my customers have outdoor oil heated swimming pools and effin great boilers that run for around 4 months continuously.

Now put your jumper on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back