DIY or sparks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Extension of 56m2.
Electrics need to be done and certified to Part P.
Emailed five NIEC sparks, two said they only certify their own work.
Not tried any others.
How likely is it that an electrician will test and sign off my work?
I wired the original conversion in 2005 prior to Part P and a sparks tested it and signed it off. He is retired now.
The extension is simpler as the CU is already installed.

Sponsored Links
These days why should a sparks let a customer do the real money making side of the job and end up having to just sign the job off.
A sparks has to make a living like anyone else.

I have no problem testing and signing off third party work, easy money

Sponsored Links
I have no problem testing and signing off third party work, easy money

If you mean you will come to my house and sign that all the work has been done correctly with no pre-conditions. You are obviously not an electrician, because you don't understand your own responsibilities.

Is there no way of doing the work without adding circuits? If your labc is happy with you sticking to non notifiable work if you're in England you can usually just extend the ring and lighting circuits as necessary.
It may get tricky with electric hobs but that wouldn't be as big job for an electrician.

Is there no way of doing the work without adding circuits? If your labc is happy with you sticking to non notifiable work if you're in England you can usually just extend the ring and lighting circuits as necessary.
I'm not sure that it's necessarily as simple as that. If the extension as a whole is subject to LABC control/approval, I think they may well regard all the electrics as being part of the project/approval, even if the electrical work, per se, would not be notifiable if done alone.

Kind Regards, john

Electrics need to be done and certified to Part P.

They do, and this is it:
part_p_requirements.png

Emailed five NIEC sparks, two said they only certify their own work.
They only notify their own work to building control, because the scheme they belong to requires that.
A completely different thing to testing and inspecting work.

If you want someone to inspect and test things, then there are many people who will do that - but don't ask them to 'sign it off' or mention 'part p' because you will get nowhere.

If you want it notified to building control, then contact building control. However as the extension as a whole will need to be notified, any electrical things would be included with that anyway.

Surely if that is the case then the LABC will want to know who is doing it.

If they consider the OP competent and acceptable, then no one else is needed.

I'm not sure that it's necessarily as simple as that. If the extension as a whole is subject to LABC control/approval, I think they may well regard all the electrics as being part of the project/approval, even if the electrical work, per se, would not be notifiable if done alone.
They might, but as I've said previously I did that and they didn't seem to have any issue with that. If the ops authority is happy with that then it's an option for them that no one had mentioned

I'm sure they will.

They certainly b****y-well ought to, because Part P applies to all electrical work, not just notifiable, and when they issue a completion certificate for the extension they are certifying that the extension complies with the Building Regulations. If they are certifying that the electrical work complies with Part P they b****y-well ought to make sure it does.

They might, but as I've said previously I did that and they didn't seem to have any issue with that. If the ops authority is happy with that then it's an option for them that no one had mentioned
Yes, it's worth mentioning as a possibility. LABCs clearly differ a lot in their approaches, but I've certainly heard of a good few cases in which various LABCs have not been happy with that approach.

I think the problem arises (for at least some LABCs) from the fact that they issue a compliance certificate which covers everything, including any electrical work (even if it would be non-notifiable if done alone), and therefore need to be satisfied that the electrical work complies with Part P. In the case of standalone non-notifiable electrical work, they are not involved, and therefore do not have to certify it as being compliant with Part P.

Kind Regards, John

As ever, the question (which for no reason whatsoever people often seem to be enraged by) is:

Jack - if you've already applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say, or by default allow Building Control to assume, would be the way you would ensure that the electrical work would comply with Part P?​

If this is all still at the planning stage, and you've not applied yet, what options does your Building Control offer? (It'll be on their website).

They only notify their own work to building control, because the scheme they belong to requires that.
I think you'll find it's a bit more than that, like the law of the land forbids them from saying they did something they didn't.

Yes, it's worth mentioning as a possibility. LABCs clearly differ a lot in their approaches, but I've certainly heard of a good few cases in which various LABCs have not been happy with that approach.
Indeed.

And, as ever, my suggestion (which for no reason whatsoever people often seem to be enraged by) is to simply ask them.

They know about the extension, so it's not as if asking is "sticking your head above the parapet".

They already know what their policies are for electrical work, so it's not as if asking will result in "B****r me - never thought about that, we'd better get on and make some policies to deal with electrical work".

Whatever their policies are, there is nothing to lose by asking them. The policies will not be changed by asking them. The person asking them will not be treated differently after having asked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back