DIY or sparks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emailed five NIEC sparks, two said they only certify their own work.
And the other three have said....?

(I predict they'll say the same, or ignore you).

How likely is it that an electrician will test and sign off my work?
Have you already gone and done it?

If so you can get an electrician to issue an EICR, but it might be full of limitations, and in any event it might not be what your Building Control want.

And, quite honestly, even if you could find one to tell Building Control he did the work, you should run a mile from any electrician bent enough to take a bribe to falsify legal documents.

I wired the original conversion in 2005 prior to Part P and a sparks tested it and signed it off.
"Signing off" meant inspecting and testing it, issuing a certificate to say that his inspection and testing complied with the Wiring Regulations (NOT the same as saying your work did), and attaching his findings, possibly full of limitations, to his certificate.

Sponsored Links
This extension has full planning approval from South Glos council.
The building regulation inspection framework does not mention electrics.
I am at the stage of drylining so need to consider the electrical wiring layout, but no electrics have been installed for this.
The extension consists of the conversion and extension of two adjacent outbuildings to form extended accommodation.
The outbuildings had power and lights already.
So one outbuilding is now the kitchen and the other is the lounge,with what was the bedroom split into utility room and toilet/shower room. The old kitchen and the lounge now become bedrooms.

Last edited:
I wired the original conversion in 2005 prior to Part P ....
Part P (with the associated requirements for notification of electrical work) came into force on 1st January 2005. Are you saying that you managed to bypass that by claiming that the electrical work had been 'designed' prior to that date?

Kind Regards, John

The plans were approved prior to Part P so were not subject to part P at a guess. Work was started in 2004 ish.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure they will.

They certainly b****y-well ought to, because Part P applies to all electrical work, not just notifiable, and when they issue a completion certificate for the extension they are certifying that the extension complies with the Building Regulations. If they are certifying that the electrical work complies with Part P they b****y-well ought to make sure it does.

Can't we get bloody past the censor?

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/16/electrics/3

Building Regulations: Checking for safety

Where the electrical installation work is notifiable it should be checked to make sure that it is safe. This checking can be done by:

• the electrician who carries out the work, provided the electrician is registered with a competent person self-certification scheme, or
  • a building control body – either the building control department of your local authority or a private approved inspector, or
  • in England only, an electrician registered with a third-party certification scheme.
and:

Local authority building control
You may make a Building Regulations application to your local authority building control department if the electrician you employ to carry out notifiable work is not registered with one of the relevant competent person schemes, or if you do the work yourself. You should contact the local authority before you start the work and they will explain the requisite procedures to you.

It is also best to discuss with the local authority how they wish to inspect and check the works you are carrying out.

So does the Building Control fee I paid for the planning application include electrics, I suspect not.

• in England only, an electrician registered with a third-party certification scheme.
    There aren't many who have signed up to do that, but they should supervise the work during its progress so you must employ them before you start.
So does the Building Control fee I paid for the planning application include electrics, I suspect not.
We can't tell.

As Bas keeps saying - Ask them.

I have no problem testing and signing off third party work, easy money

If you mean you will come to my house and sign that all the work has been done correctly with no pre-conditions. You are obviously not an electrician, because you don't understand your own responsibilities.

If you think that you are obviously an idiot

I didn't think anything read what you said, so how many times have you tested and signed off third party work? how many dangerous things did you ignore? will their house burn down tonight? will some body get killed? just for your easy money.

This extension has full planning approval from South Glos council.
Planning Permission and Building Regulations approval are two totally separate things, with zero relationship between them.

The building regulation inspection framework does not mention electrics.
Sure about that?

upload_2018-1-28_2-15-7.png

I am at the stage of drylining so need to consider the electrical wiring layout, but no electrics have been installed for this.
The extension consists of the conversion and extension of two adjacent outbuildings to form extended accommodation.
The outbuildings had power and lights already.
So one outbuilding is now the kitchen and the other is the lounge,with what was the bedroom split into utility room and toilet/shower room. The old kitchen and the lounge now become bedrooms.
Whatever.

You have a choice of two courses of action.

1. Plough on without checking what the people who you need to give you a completion certificate at the end are expecting you to do re the electrical work, and just hope that what you do and what they want are the same.
  2. Ask them before it is too late to deal with them not being the same.

There's only a certain number of times people are prepared to tell you that. And I've reached my limit.

I didn't think anything read what you said, so how many times have you tested and signed off third party work? how many dangerous things did you ignore? will their house burn down tonight? will some body get killed? just for your easy money.
Have you actually ever seen, or read, the third part of a 3-part EIC?

Or an EICR?

in England only, an electrician registered with a third-party certification scheme.
There aren't many who have signed up to do that, but they should supervise the work during its progress so you must employ them before you start.
We can't tell.

As Bas keeps saying - Ask them.
I'm beginning to wonder if Jack has already decided what he is going to do, and is flatly rejecting anything which doesn't fit with that, and that if he doesn't say anything to his LABC they will necessarily be quite OK with what he has decided to so.

How many times: Probably about four, dangerous things ignored: zero, house fires :zero, deaths :zero, two of those were at the request of BC because the spark had done a runner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back