DIY replacement of Netaheat fan or pressure switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Have old Netaheat Mk2F
Corgi engineer did service and I discussed fault with him. Boiler over-heating and sometimes cuts out with fan going but no pilot. Chugs along on min boiler temp. setting OK. Some improvement with new pump and cleaning system with chemicals. Blowing down pressure sensor tube causes it to fire up again when cut out. So either pressure switch or fan? As case gets v hot is it likely to be the fan more than the switch? Both seem very accessible and correct part obtainable plus replacement instructions from partsarena seem clear.
Is it reasonable for a DIYer to replace the fan and/or the switch as not directly gas-related? Switch would cost £150 to replace with Corgi bloke, £35 with me and same with fan but I don't want to wind up dead!
Some advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Any part which governs the correct operation of a gas appliance can only be altered or changed by a corgi engineer.(i.e. with proven competancies.)

definitely not a DIY job on this particular boiler...responsible for more co poisoning incidents than any other. The case is an integral safety item on this model.

I'll second that ollski,

Netaheats are dangerous and lethal in the wrong hands

Sponsored Links
That and also as well in addition, it probably is NOT the fan or pressure switch - much cheaper than either. Any experienced gaswallah will know what I mean!

By the way Thorn Apollo's have killed more people than these. So you might only die a bit.

Interesting link Slug.
It was from an ex BG (old version) guys who was up in their accident department. He investigated a lot of accident scenes for police etc. When I met him he was teaching/assessing ACS.
Figure I remember were 41 for Apollo's, 12 for Netaheats. In both cases(!) the seals were improved, early on in the boiler's production as a result of the accidents. Don't know any figures for later.

RE Apollos can`t ever remember hearing of any serious incidents with them or getting any briefing or safety notice about them, had loads on the netaheat though

OK OK I understand now that to mess with the Netaheat is like messing with the Grim Reaper! It seems easy enough with care but then what do I know about boilers? Point taken. Thanks for the cautions.

It's just that when a bit strapped for cash, to pay £150 for a part that is £30 from a parts place and looks a half-hour uncomplicated job seems excessive. Especially when it may not be the real problem. Doesn't the 'let's change each part at £150 a go and see if it works' seem a bit of an unreasonable approach and a license to print money? Is it possible to get someone who will come once and go through all the options and guarantee to change the bit that is really the problem? Is that asking too much?
Anybody like that in the St Albans area?
Cheers again

No it isn't unreasonable to fix it in one hit. Netaheats are dead ordinary in the area you have trubbs. I know a man who might get to you - email me (addr in profile)

Email me. Having looked at one today I can steer you but not prepared to broadcast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back