Dogs

Sponsored Links
certain breeds have proven that they can kill, so at what point do we declare them dangerous like a lion is classed, ask a lion trainer or circus lion owner and they'd probably say their lion is as soft as a rice pudding and wouldn't hurt a flea but would you trust what they say?
NO!

You should never touch a strange dog without asking the owners consent. I drum this into my niece all the time. It actually frightens me the number of children that will come running up to a dog that they don't know and throw their arms round it.

are you without children Alison?

Sponsored Links
I have 10 year old retriever, my most loyal friend, soft as sh*t, he comes to work with me when he can, in the vans double front seat, proud as punch. Never raised a growl to anyone, not even kids, an old gent.
He will fight with dogs given half the chance though :rolleyes:

My dogs are hardly ever off the lead because I want to ensure their safety.
This is a popular (and dangerous) misconception. See below.

While they are on the lead, they can't be blamed for anything.
Whilst on the lead, they cannot escape danger if it shows up, which can make them overly aggressive. Also your dog is more likely to try and be overly protective of you whilst on the lead, which can again cause problems with other dogs - you might not realise it but your dog could be giving off the "don't mess with me message" which gets other dog's backs up. Whenever possible (away from traffic) you should let your dog off it's lead. The thinking that keeping the dog on the lead is for it's own safety is totally wrong - you're not doing your dog any favours there I'm afraid.

It actually frightens me the number of children that will come running up to a dog that they don't know and throw their arms round it.
Totally agree. When kids come running up to mine, they generally ask "does he bite?". I always reply "oh yes, be careful or he'll have your arm off." This way they don't stroke and potentially frighten the dog and possibly cause a problem.

You should never touch a strange dog without asking the owners consent. I drum this into my niece all the time. It actually frightens me the number of children that will come running up to a dog that they don't know and throw their arms round it.

are you without children Alison?

I am indeed without children (hope you're not offering!! :LOL: :LOL: ;) ;) ) but I do recognise that there is a need for parents to educate children not to approach any dog - even if they know it - without consent of the owner and the owner being in attendance. Maybe I'm over simplifying things but you should never be complacent with a dog - or even a cat for that matter - cats have been known to smother babies by lying on their faces when they're in their cots or prams.

I'm constantly telling my niece that she should respect the dogs and not harrass them and that she should never touch a strange dog without asking if it's OK.

I actually had to change my route on one of the walks that I take because there were five little girls that used to run around squealing and as soon as they saw a dog, they'd come running up squealing and screaming and try to throw their arms round them. Now my dogs adore children, but with all the squealing and screaming they were doing, it may have been enough to upset the dogs. I tried to tell them that they shouldn't do what they were doing. So what did they do? Ran away over to another dog doing the exact same thing. That frightens me.

My two are really good with humans, but I wouldn't trust them an inch with any other dogs.

GCol - I do know that - but to be honest, I'd much rather keep my boys on the lead and ask other people to keep their dogs away than risk a bad mannered dog rushing up to mine and a fight ensuing - and mine getting the blame (whether they start it or not) and risking them getting put down.
It's all down to breed discrimination.

My older dog is a rescue and he still has issues to this day - he goes berserk at drunk men with walking sticks - which makes me think he was beaten. He was attacked by another dog and is now frightened of other dogs and will growl in defence.

Our area is full of nasty little dogs that's owners think it's really sweet when their little dog terrorises a larger dog - but if my dog was to retaliate, I'd be the one to blame. I'm fed up to the back teeth of having to fight off Westies, Jack Russells, etc whose owners allow them to run at other dogs biting and snarling at them. I don't want to risk the safety of my dogs. As a rule, they are walked on the streets and are on lead because I don't want them getting run over. When they get off lead, it's in an area where I can see for miles and can call them back and leave if someone else appears.

I am indeed without children (hope you're not offering!! :LOL: :LOL: ;) ;) )
Translation for non females:
Hope you're not offering = Oh i hope you are :LOL: :LOL:

Erm, no, not quite right.:eek:

I'd rather have me dogs - at least when I tell them to go to their beds, they do!!!! Unlike most kids! :LOL:
oh i see its the end result where you get the kids thats not quite right then ;) :LOL: :LOL: noseall i think you're still in there mate :D

for the most part, humans rear children and not puppies.

if i were invited to visit a house where dogs were present, then i would politely ask, if necessary, for the dogs to be kept outside.

if the owner was to ask for my children to be 'kept on a leash' and not to go near the dogs, then i would decline to visit

there is no animal that can take priority over a child.

Sponsored Links
Back